free website stats program Paint chips | Harley Davidson Forums

Paint chips

gunnut

I have,(apparently) a special color purple on my glide.So,as it cost me an arm and a leg,for a color stick(whatever that is)I badly need advice on how to use it for the best possible results.Thanks guys,I know you'll come thru for me,like always.This forum is better than being an mc!!!

A picture of the chip sure would help. Assuming it goes to the metal or primer, honestly... I would take it to a body shop and have them do it. It is going to be a bear to get it right yourself and not be always noticing it and disappointed. Unless its just a tiny little chip (1/4 inch or so) and not in an area you can easily see. If that's the case then clean it thoroughly with wax remover, rough the tiny area only with 400 or 600 grit, clean it again, and then very carfully cover the exposed metal area only. Don't let it get away from you and end up being a big blotch of new paint.

I think a "color stick" is a small bottle of paint with a built in brush that was mixed for your specific color. Not just an off the shelf color/code match but a perfect computer blended touch up bottle.

Yes, No ,Maybe?:)

I think a "color stick" is a small bottle of paint with a built in brush that was mixed for your specific color. Not just an off the shelf color/code match but a perfect computer blended touch up bottle.

Yes, No ,Maybe?:)

I would call it a paint stick often comes with three sticks a primer a colour and a clear
the problem with using them is they dont fill up the the hole the chip takes out of the paint
i would think the best way to fill the chip is to build it up in layers 3 of undercoat then about 3 or 4 of colour then use t cut to smoth it out and blend in with the surrounding paint then a couple of coats of clear and t cut to smooth it out
leave at least a couple of days before using the t cut as the paint needs to harden

Brian

What I forsee happeneing is what happens when I try to fix a hole in dry wall. Hole is maby an inch across, but repair ends up being about the size of a hoola hoop LOL...

chip is on the bottom at the back of my front fender,about 1 1/2"long,1/4"wide ,like a strip.Correct was its a color match,cause the dealer wanted my frame #. "Thats also who said it was a special color for that year.

Back