P0505 Loss of Idle Sped Control EFI

Discussion in 'Electrical' started by GScott, Jan 22, 2009.

1. GScott

GScott Member

I am posting this for my husband so I hope this is the right spot for it.

We have a 2007 Heritage FLSTC. Just did a 96 to 103 upgrade and put V&H fuel pack on. Ever since we have gotten code P0505.

Anyone have any idea what it could be? Speedometer works, we even took it back off an plugged everything in again just to make sure everything was ok. It is also has a high idle.

Any help/thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks,

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

That would be the intake air control motor (IAC) that sets the idle speed through a servo motor in the throttle body. May be a trip to the dealer if you don't have the capabilities to work on it. Generally it has to be set with the digital tech at the dealers.

04-07 HD DTC Codes and Activation - Harley Davidson Community

3. GScott

GScott Member

Do they plug it into a computer to program it and is this normal when you change to a big bore kit?

4. glider

glider Veteran Member

Shouldn't be normal in any case and yes they plug into the computer not only for diagnostic but to set it also. It has steps that have to be set electronically with the digital tech to maintain the proper idle speed(laptop type computer)

5. wildspirit97

wildspirit97 Senior Member

I see that you unplugged the fuel pack and plugged it back in, but did you try running it with out the fuel pack plugged in to see if that might be the cause?

6. GScott

GScott Member

So since this is not normal is there anything else I should look for before taking it to a dealer? Could a possible exhaust leak cause this? And why would doing an upgrade cause this?

Sorry for all the questions..

7. Bud White

Bud White Well-Known Member Retired Moderators

make sure the IAC is plugged in good other wise not much you can do

8. glider

glider Veteran Member

Could be a bad connection in the wiring harness from being apart or a faulty part. I would bring it to their attention and let them know it has been doing it since they worked on the bike.

9. GScott

GScott Member

We unplugged the speedometer not the fuel pack, should we try that? Would it run ok without the fuel pack plugged in?

10. glider

glider Veteran Member

It would run OK but probably be on the lean side, just do it to check over the idle speed.