free website stats program P-0118 code | Harley Davidson Forums

P-0118 code

mdnbiker

Problem: Rriding today and all seemed fine. Came to stop at interstate exit and noticed bike idiling high, and pause when throttle cranked. Got bike on home and turned off. Tried to restart and only got turnover. Waited 15 min and light would not go off when switch was on but bike would crank, idle was pulsing from 1000 to 1200 RPM, an volt gauge sat at 12 volts till I gave it gas then went to about 15 volts , settling down to 14. Turned off for another 2 hours. Turned on ignition and run switch...EFI light on, started....EFI light went off (normal) about 15 seconds EFI light comes back on and stays on. Did a code search and found 1 error code P-01118 voltage open/hi EFI. Can I get some help with this?
Thanks
mdnbiker
06 electraglide
great site glad i was able to find it

Thanks for the quick reply. I was afraid you would say that. Talked with a friend earlier that had the light issue. He's not mechanical but took it to the shop and had a fried stator. I will test to verify.
Thanks again
mdnbiker

Let us know the outcome.:s

Open the derby cover and take a whiff first, if it smells like burnt toast, it's probably your problem then.

Need a little help here...Checked stator--OK. Regulator--Disconnect stator input line (3) pins on regulator, checked from ground on battery to each pin...12.6VDC on each pin. There are two plugs into the regulator, did not check the plug on the right (brake) side only the one on the left side. is this correct and I have a bad regulator? Hooked everything back up after testing and started bike everything was working as it should, no surging at rpm gauge and EFI lights went off and stayed off. Battery check good and voltage output 14.10 VDC 1000RPM

Life sure seemed easier in my younger days with the old pans and early shovels.

If everything checked out as far as voltages and you followed the procedure , possible you had a bad connection at the plug? Any green corrosion or white powder there? If your battery voltage is up in the 14's, chances are there was a bad connection but you will find out after a few miles driven if the problem comes back.
Check the ground at the regulator and make sure it is clean where it mounts to the bike.

What about the voltage reading I am getting from battery ground to the pins on the voltage regulator stator input regulator side. I thought the test procedure said any voltage reading was a bad regulator.
Myabe the the stock twin cam cannot handle hard running. A BMW blew by me yesterday and when I caught up with him we were running 110 mph for about 25 miles. Thats when the problem started. Similar situation with my deceased EVO Heritage a few years back fried the stator.

Last edited:
In my continued search of the forums I found there was a recall on this regulator. I will remove and check with local dealer tomorrow.
Again thanks to this fine site and to glider for the quick response to my questions
mdnbiker

Back