free website stats program Overheating while in traffic | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Overheating while in traffic

A couple years ago when I still had my 2002 Night Train we went to a big bike event in Johnstown Pa. and there was a huge pack of bikes that had gathered together in a parking lot to enter into town together and were entering the main street just as we were pulling up so we ended up inching our way into town for the next hour. I had an oil thermometer in my oil tank and the temperature got up to 300 degrees. It never ran any higher than 200 before that. Now , I traded the Night Train in last year on a new 2010 Heritage and it is worse. It runs hotter than the Night Train all of the time even in normal traffic which they say is normal for these new bikes. I don't have an oil temp gauge on it yet but I did buy a Lenale fan and installed it where the stock horn was positioned and you get a horn relocation kit to move the horn to the front lower down tubes. Just installed it yesterday and man that little fan really pushes the air across the cylinders . I was planning on installing a Lenale oil cooler with built in fans on it too but yesterday I was talking to Len at Lenale Engineering and he said with the cooling fan on the cylinders that I probably wouldn't even need it , so I'm going to wait and try the fan until later this summer. I suspect that he is right because this fan throws air like a leaf blower. The fan comes with a built in switch right on the fan but you have to reach down all of the time to turn it on or off so I put a factory ad on switch on the handlebars right beside the throttle so it is convenient to only run it in hot conditions in traffic. It seems to me that the price you pay for a Harley that they should finish the bike before they sell them . Overheating is a defect and should have been detected and remedied during the factory testing.

man-in-black

Stories like yours are welcomed by me.... I want to learn from the others on this site!! good read you posted!!

I also worry about my 96" bike as it has run warmer than I want it to and I'm still here in cool washington and not down in hot Az. yet...

I will install the JAGG oil cooler I already have down at my place south. As I bot the cooler for my 2006 sport R. and found i didn't need it on that bike even down in Az. The bike ran cool and I used 20/50 redline syn. oil and it never broke 210* on a hot run.....

Now my 09 96" is a little cooler now.. I installed the stage one and TFI and tht seemed to cool it some , But not enough for Az. by it's self.

Glad to here your report of the fan and that just makes me sure I will add it also... Like said for stop-n-go traffic.

Ha ha as Smitty 901 says he has used his fan to blow warm air onto his cold hands so I guess even winter use is possible!

I have a 09 FLHR and it may run a little cooler than the full shields on the glides.

Thanks
signed....BUBBIE

FYI, if you look in the 2010 PDF, all touring bikes for 2010 get an oil cooler, so you know HD has been trying with due diligence to meet EPA reqs and yet continue to use an Air and Oil Cooled design...dated but none the less still a viable power plant, but it is approaching design limits. Like I said, MOCO R&D is burning lots of midnight oil to keep this technology we know and love, but it gets tougher every year. I like new tech as well as old tech and still am amazed at what MOCO has done to try to keep HD's from becoming a piece of "UNOBTAINIUM" for only the very rich...we may complain about imported stuff but you have to admiit they still have a pretty unique product. :D

http://www.hdtimeline.com/general_tips/26862-2010_new_model_and_technical_info.html

Back