free website stats program overheated....issue? | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

overheated....issue?

YOu folks have a LOT more Harley experience than I so I must bow to that. That said, I never read that engine heat management system was for the engines benefit. I thought Harley created that to stop owners from griping about thigh heat in stop and go traffic (so they make the rear cylinder an air pump to cool it and the exhaust by the leg). live and learn on that one. If it is indeed an engine saver I should just trade the thing in though since here in the mid atlantic I have had the single cylinder mode come on after sitting at just one traffic light in 90 degree summer. Now normally the light goes green and off I go and all gets better. This time there was no movement to the side of the road, no walking it (was uphill) so it had to gut it out. So far several hundred miles of riding with no after effects noticeable. I certainly would have preferred pulling off since even when we did after getting past the barrier and having it shut down for 20 minutes it was STILL hot as it turned over slow and ran ragged for a mile or so until the air cooled it some. If indeed this motor is over stressed heat wise for modern living perhaps it is time for them to go water cooled ....just a thought...

I am NOT trading it in.

Phil

Back