free website stats program overheated....issue? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

overheated....issue?

I thought you could roll the throttle forward on the TBW and set the ECM into temprature control before it gets too hot.
When I am in traffic on a warm to hot day, I roll the throttle forward when I get stopped and out of gear at a light and I can hear the engine slow down and get kinda loapy. I was also told that the ECM will do this by it's self in High Head Heat conditions.

If you are asking me, I really felt no heat issue on my legs at all. It was a pretty temperate day but the long idle was brutal.

Phil

Thanks Redfish-Joe. It is an easy job to do as he organized it all so well for us.

But I am a Proud librarian :D

You have some BIG SHOES to fill Caps intended and doing a great job and I know Glider is proud, He speaks highly of you , Capital Jack:s

:worthy:hii
Thanks Jack.

Being a Moderator is a privilege. I get to work in the "back room" that many other Mods current and past built before me and yes Glider casts the largest shadow on the forum. "Shadow" is meant in a good way.

As far as filling those shoes, I will never fill those shoes.

Just doing a volunteer job for a HD Community that is the best. :s

:worthy:hii

It's taken me awhile to respond because I wanted to find where I read/heard that the EITMS system would shut down the engine before any damage as I hate to spread misinformation. Well, this must be my week to be wrong. I could not find it. The only thing I can think of is when I had my 06 RKC and she kept shutting down in traffic at Daytona Bike week. Someone told me not to worry because the engine was designed to shut down before any heat damage occurred. I know this bike had a different heat management system (parade mode) but I assumed (1) that was a true statement and (2) that it applied to the EITMS. Now I can't substantiate either. I can tell you I owned that RK for another year and never had any engine problems. Anyway, sorry for engaging my mouth without having my brain in gear.

Mark, were you by any chance thinking of the fly-by-wire throttle fail safe that can shut the bike down if there is a detected error in that system?

I am beginning to think (just my theory) that the "heat management mode" is just a way to tell the rider to "Do-Something". Sure it reduces the heat generated by the rear cylinder but it does not do much for the front cylinder. Pouring in fuel helps but it is not enough.

When my engine goes into EITMS mode it tells me I better start thinking fast about what I am going to do. Either somehow start moving or shut it down but don't just sit there. If it kicks in at 315*, I would think 350* would be the absolute max before piston ring damage (de-tension) & cylinder wall damage would occur. (?) The guys at Revolution Performance seem to agree.

Wish I had a "donor engine" I could test to it's limit. :) Even a set of rings to test when (at what temp) they begin to de-tension.

Those sentiments are exactly mine also. It is a warning, make the best of the situation and act accordingly.

I have only seen this happen one time, but this is the scenario:
When the air cooled Harley got over heated and the rider refused to shut it down or speed up his ground speed the bike started to ping and rattle loudly at low speed. Next the engine started to smoke. Not out the exhaust but from around the gaskets on the engine as well as the cooling fins. It was very noticable and it was an unmistakable "hot" smelling white smoke. This whole situation could have been mitigated but the new owner was tired of complaining to the dealer that his bike was running hotter than he thought it should. The dealer told him that it was "normal" and not to worry. The owners justification for pulling this stunt was that he could make the bike have a melt down and have to be towed in. He figured that at that point the dealer would be forced to "fix it". The last I heard, the bike was still at the dealers, waiting to be "fixed". That was 6 months ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Jack.

Being a Moderator is a privilege. I get to work in the "back room" that many other Mods current and past built before me and yes Glider casts the largest shadow on the forum. "Shadow" is meant in a good way.

As far as filling those shoes, I will never fill those shoes.

Just doing a volunteer job for a HD Community that is the best. :s

1+ for The Tank...he really stated very well my same feelings about being a Mod here at HDT...I only hope to give as much to this forum as I have received just working with so many fine people here and this gift of being able to be a part of it...! :small3d036:

Regarding overheating issue, the late model Harley "self preservation" mode just means a bit of sluggish engine operation, that will be overridden by a bit of throttle modulation. But if you believe your bike is truly overheating, you may want to make sure to take appropriate measures. Check for any outstanding Service Bulletins (have your VIN # handy) and if possible, call the original dealer who serviced this bike to find out a little history. There are Air Deflectors, LOF (Lube Oil & Filter) changes, etc. that you can do to make your bike (and you) run cooler without a lot of bucks.

Back