free website stats program overheated....issue? | Harley Davidson Forums

overheated....issue?

wv2wheel

So some friends had the bright idea to go to Skyline Drive today. The stop and go traffic to get in held us for about 45 minutes. Air temps were in the 50's at the time but toward the end the Ultra started making bad noises. Whenever the EMIT or whatever it is called would cut the rear cylinder off it would make several loud rattle noises so I just kept a little gas on it to stop that. I also heard a few episodes of ping (all this in line to get in the park). Once we got moving it settled down but we went about 12 miles in the park and stopped for lunch. Upon starting the bike it turned over VERY slow and hard. I think the oil had gotten so hot the bike was not liking it much. It did start and we finished riding another 140 miles on the day. The bike ran and sounded fine the rest of the day having cooled to normal......so what say ya'all, worry or no?
I had a BMW RT once and made the mistake of getting in the "parade" to the top of the mountain at Americade. half way up it started rattling very loud. The Gold Wings next to me started to worry about shrapnel. It didnt seem to phase the bike afterwards. I did another 20k miles on it before selling it...so I guess I am inclined to thing no harm done this time....but it didnt sound good.

Phil

Fuggedaboudit.... :D

Especially if the air temp was only 50 degrees. Police bikes sit idling all day in the hot sun and their engines are fine.

Harley engines can be a little tempermental when they get hot, but once they cool down again they are good to go.

I think some of the (EDIT) fuel out there these days causes more issues, especially when it gets hot.

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuggedaboudit.... :D

Police bikes sit idling all day in the hot sun and their engines are fine.

Humm. I wouldn't go as far as saying that... I really don't think the current stock "96" or "103" could take much of that. Within 3 minutes of idle, my engine goes into heat management and the front head is at 315*. The rear has to be higher.

Your bike should not be "rattling" when the EITMS kicks on. What you should hear is a change in the idle tempo as the rear cylinder stops firing. Your rattle may be from a change in the harmonics when the engine idles down, making a part rattle (heat shield) that is quiet at normal idle.I doubt you hurt your engine but I would definately not defeat the EITMS as it is part of Harley's heat management system. Take it in and have them check it out, fix that "rattle" if it's there and let the system work.

I am beginning to think (just my theory) that the "heat management mode" is just a way to tell the rider to "Do-Something". Sure it reduces the heat generated by the rear cylinder but it does not do much for the front cylinder. Pouring in fuel helps but it is not enough.

When my engine goes into EITMS mode it tells me I better start thinking fast about what I am going to do. Either somehow start moving or shut it down but don't just sit there. If it kicks in at 315*, I would think 350* would be the absolute max before piston ring damage (de-tension) & cylinder wall damage would occur. (?) The guys at Revolution Performance seem to agree.

Wish I had a "donor engine" I could test to it's limit. :) Even a set of rings to test when (at what temp) they begin to de-tension.

I agree with you hoop, when the system kicks on it is crunch time. It is my understanding that the system works in phases, the next step being complete shut down of the engine BEFORE any damage occurs. (thats why it is important NOT to defeat the system). I know my 06 Road King did shut off in traffic at Daytona one year, forcing me to the side of the road. I let it cool off and never had an issue with her afterwards. Even rode her to NC the next week.

It is my understanding that the system works in phases, the next step being complete shut down of the engine BEFORE any damage occurs.

That's interesting. I have never read anywhere that would take place on Extreme over-temps. It SURE would be a Great feature to have. First chance I get I will substitute a potentiometer for my front cylinder temp sensor and dial in some crazy temps and see what happens.

The way I understand it, the touring EITMS firmware is a little different than the FX firmware. So it is possible my FX would not do that (?) ..
I wish I knew someone on the inside of the MoCo and was able to find out the real nuts & bolts of how it all really worked.

during this idle run EITMS started coming on at the last 15 minutes. each stop it would come on and yes the idle changed but no noise....then the last say 5 minutes each time it would kick in, some top end rattle (at least it sounded like that but who knows) would occur several times then quiet. There was no place to get off (middle of 5 lane stream of cars) and no way to walk it (uphill) so all we could do was continue to get through the gate....the one tradeoff to an air cooled engine...I will watch it and listen and next check have them look for anything odd. The problem is they would have to overheat to hear it.

Phil

When you kept gas on it to stop that you over rode the two different systems designed to help the bike.
I ride in traffic all of the time . Let the bike idle every time you take it off idle you reset the timer and stop the bike temp reduction systems from kicking in. if you would like them explained Ask And I will go into detail.
You have never seen green stuff coming from a GW in traffic? I have.
Smitty I have an '03 Ultra. Does it have a EITMS? For some reason I am thinking that it doesn't. My question to you is, what do I do with my particular bike when I am stuck in traffic? I'll do as you suggest and NOThit the gas while idling but will it matter in my case? By the way, I try not to let the bike idle for too long anyway. I'll do like Hoop suggest.

Back