free website stats program Overcharge then Discharge | Harley Davidson Forums

Overcharge then Discharge

Redfide

My 2006 Ultra Classic just started charging then discharging. I noticed it when the discharge and engine light came on. The volt meter showed about 11 volts. A little while later the volt meter climbed to about 15 volts, and the lights went off. After a short distance the volt meter dropped and when it got below 12 the lights would come on again. This went on for about an hour and a half while I rode home. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks for any advise.

My 2006 Ultra Classic just started charging then discharging. I noticed it when the discharge and engine light came on. The volt meter showed about 11 volts. A little while later the volt meter climbed to about 15 volts, and the lights went off. After a short distance the volt meter dropped and when it got below 12 the lights would come on again. This went on for about an hour and a half while I rode home. Does anyone know what the problem is?

Thanks for any advise.

I would bet that your VR is going out, but to check the easy stuff first, remove, wire brush clean and then re-attached the mating surfaces of both ends of your battery cables. Remember to loosend the negative first, and reattach it last. If after doing this, you still have the problem, do this:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Where is the VR on a 06 Ultra. I've found the cruise control, ECM and 2 fuse boxes under the side panels. I can't locate the VR and don't want to take the entire bike apart.

Where is the VR on a 06 Ultra. I've found the cruise control, ECM and 2 fuse boxes under the side panels. I can't locate the VR and don't want to take the entire bike apart.

It is in the very front of the engine below the oil filter attached to the frame crossmember. Right behind the skirt on the front fender. Here is a pix that dhorne posted in his "Stator" thread. Shows the VR:

4284d1251324494-stator-p1020056.jpg

TQ

Last edited:
PO562 is the only code set. I charged the batt and it hasn't reset the code again yet, but the voltage is slightly below 12. The new VR is almost $200 I would like to be sure before spending the cash.

Thanks for your help.

Digital VR Diagnostic Test????

Is there a diagnostic test for the digital VR. I have a 2006 Ultra Classic and believe that my VR is bad. I would like to check it before I buy one.

Re: Digital VR Diagnostic Test????

Is there a diagnostic test for the digital VR. I have a 2006 Ultra Classic and believe that my VR is bad. I would like to check it before I buy one.

Here is a good set of steps to check the charging system in general with a couple that will definitely indicate the voltage regulator (VR) as being bad. If I remember, you were getting a fluctuation on your voltage meter on the dash, right? Swinging from around 11 volts to near 15 volts? If that is the case, ensure that the mating surfaces of both ends of the battery terminals are clean by wire brushing them and reinstalling. If that doesn't do it, run through the procedures here to see what you get, but I would suspect the VR as bad. But you want to make sure that the stator is not fried too. A burnt smell when you open up the derby cover is a give away here as well as the tests below:

Testing The Charging System - Harley Davidson Community

TQ

Back