free website stats program over revved 1340 | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

over revved 1340

Hi guys,removed the tank after draining it last night so that i could disconnect the throttle cables in preparation to find the cables that are shorting in the clamshell area,but also had my suspicions about the battery condition.With the battery installed and wired up as per normal with ignition on, i put a jumper wire between solenoid and stud on starter and all i witnessed was a small spark,so i took the battery in to a local battery outlet and had it load tested- it failed miserably,so i bought a new battery and will fit that once i get the wires at the clamshell sorted.The battery had shown 12.6 with the meter just on the posts but must have been on the way out-it must be an old yuasa type as it still had the individual cells on top that you can unscrew and add distilled water to if need be! Twice in the last 12 months i have had to add water to one cell in particular so maybe this was an indication of impending failure-noted that the bike has always been easy to start.Wont get a chance now to attend to the handle bar wiring till the weekend so stay tuned.....cheers to all.

Hi Guys,heres what has happened so far,i got a new battery cos the other was toast.I was suspicious that even when the old battery was installed and i tried to put a jumper wire from the green wire at the solenoid to the stud on the starter,all i got was a couple of minute sparks,so i had it load tested-gone bad. Early this morning i reconnected the broken wires up at the throttle clamshell,installed the new battery and hit the starter.All i got was a click a the relay under the seat,so next i ran the same jumper cable from before between the green wire on the starter and the stud-with the plugs out of the jugs,the engine turned over furiously,so at least i have that now. I did a continuity test from the green wire on the starter to the point where it enters the relay socket under the seat and i got a signal,so now i dont now if the relay is bad or the solenoid has seen better days-any ideas greatfully accepted,cheers.

Have you checked the relay socket? There was a thread a while back that the poster finally discovered that the relay socket had corrosion. If I remember it was Jack that suggested the fix.

Since the starter cranks when you jumpered to the small terminal on the starter relay, you know that the solenoid is ok.

With your voltmeter, check the voltage at terminal 87 on the starter relay while the start button is pressed. This is the terminal that the green wire connects to.

hi , i took a jaunt down to the auto store and got a new relay-same as before,just clicks.Put the meter on to the green terminal up at the relay with it still connected to the socket and the reading was zero-not sure what it should read so replaced the batteries in the meter and still the same zero reading!!!! what should it read?

With the ignition on, check the voltage at terminal 30 (red wire) you don`t have to press the start button for this one. If good, continue...

With start button pressed, check voltage at terminal 86 (black/red wire) and 85 (black wire).

You should see system voltage at 30 and 86, and zero at 85.

There will not be a wire connected to terminal 87a on your bike.

Let us know what you see.

Here is an illustration of the relay terminals.

Attachments

• Relay Pic.jpg
    Relay Pic.jpg
    7.5 KB · Views: 11
Hi flst89,sorry for delay,its 7am here and i'm keen to move.Terminal 30 gave a strange reading:with meter connected it gave a climbing scale going from around 20mv to 200mv and then it starts all over again like a stopwatch,terminal 86 reads:12.29v and terminal 85 reads:1.3mv -something weird going on eh!

Hi flst89,sorry for delay,its 7am here and i'm keen to move.Terminal 30 gave a strange reading:with meter connected it gave a climbing scale going from around 20mv to 200mv and then it starts all over again like a stopwatch,terminal 86 reads:12.29v and terminal 85 reads:1.3mv -something weird going on eh!

The strange reading at terminal 30 looks like an open circuit.

Terminal 30 is where the power goes in to the relay, if it has no power, you will have no power going to terminal 87 (the terminal that sends power to the starter solenoid-the green wire).

The power at terminal 86 looks ok, and the reading at terminal 85 looks ok also.

So you need to follow the red wire and find out why it has no power...

That red wire takes a long convoluted path to get to the ignition breaker, and along the way it goes through a connector up by the steering head, between the fuel tanks.

Rather than pull the fuel tanks to get at the connector, first take a look at the ignition breaker at the dash, (you will have to remove the dash cover).

Check that the red wire is securely connected to the breaker, make sure the wire is not broken, sometimes they look fine, but move the wire and it pops out of the connector or is broken right there.

Also check the voltage where the red wire is connected to that breaker, you don`t have to press the start button, just make sure the ignition and kill switch are on.

Another thing, when taking voltage checks, always touch the (-) probe to the (-) post of the battery, not the frame.

Back