free website stats program over revved 1340 | Harley Davidson Forums

over revved 1340

zoob2

Hi guys,here's the latest problem,as i pulled into my driveway,i got off the bike still ticking over and my passenger got off in her normal way,but as she slid forward down onto my now vacant seat,she grabbed a handful of throttle all the way round with the bike revving madly ! I quickly came running to hit the kill button cos i was opening the garage at the time,but by this time the bike i estimate was revving flat out for say-4 to 5 seconds before i was able to get to it to switch off.After i pushed it into the garage and then went to start it,the lights went dim and nothing else happened-i am wondering if a rod has bent and i thought i would throw this out there to all you guys before i touch anything on it -helppppppppp-its sounding like an expensive christmas now........

Have you tried to start once bike has sat and cooled done?

hi there, i tried to start it an hour later and still the same-i probably shouldnt have, but i clicked it in to 5th and tried to rock it back and forth but met quite a bit of resistance so i think i will leave it for now-am prepared for the worst case scenario now-the missus feels bad but as i told her,its just another of life's hurdles...cheers from NZ.

Please keep us posted on what you find
Take the spark plugs out and try rocking the bike in gear to see if the engine parts move or not
May then be tools out and strip and inspect
Hurdles in life add to our learning experience it is just a pest to have the bike down during summer

Brian

Does the bike have an ignition module? Reason being, the module has a built in rev limiter. As for the no start with lights dimming, is it possible the start switch was pressed in the confusion while the bike was at high revs? If so you starter may be part of the issue. Perhaps the starter gear is jammed.

Hi sledDog,i think you may be right on that i may have hit the starter at the same time i hit the kill button-kinda makes a lot of sense.Its 2.30am here,so after some sleep,am going to drain the primary and pull the primary cover and take a peek inside.Will post my findings one way or the other,cheers.

When the hard mounted engine revved up it may have shaken the battery cables loose. I know with my '94 FLSTC I have to check the cables (both ends) frequently. Make sure they are clean and tight.

hi guys ,thanks for that,daylight here now,so far have removed the primary cover and nothing jammed in there,jacked up bike on lifter and took the plugs out,changed into 5th gear and can turn the motor over.Checked the connections under the seat and all tight ,so now will whip the rear exhaust off to get a better access to the starter motor and connections there,will keep y'all posted,cheers.

i hope you find the issue and its nothing serious, the guys have you covered, but just a note - i run the limiter (6800rpm) regularly on my Dyna in 3rd, 4th so its possibly reving a lot higher than your 94 and so far no issues as there is always some tolerance in there for mild over rev, my previous Dyna hit the limiter in 6th at7200rpm without issue's

Back