free website stats program outer fairing gasket | Harley Davidson Forums

outer fairing gasket

kemo

R.I.P
Is the foam seal between the outer fairing and the windshield necessary. Does the seal keep moisture from sweating into the gages.
kemo

It's not a totally sealed area but the less sealing there is the more water,dust & dirt will get in I would think, why do you want to do away with the seal??

The seal has broken apart and was just wondering if it should be replaced.Thanks Chop.
Kemo

Ken,I have removed the outer on a lot of bikes in the last year to re-wire the passing lamps to work all the time and have found that quite a few no longer have the foam strip,these are the same guys that complained the radio was glitchy after they rode in the rain.We replaced any damaged or missing ones.When you replace it make sure you know what type of foam you are using.You have to use a closed cell foam.If you don't the open cell will absorb the water and act like a wick to the inner components.

STEVE07; do you have a recommended place to get this foam (HD, or HW store)? Mine's got a little wear on outer edges from trying to pack the w/s bags & shields so I thought it would be good to fix. Want to get a recommended product...thanks!

Awesome, Thanks! Looks like they have on-line shopping so I can go that route b/c it seems they're the "Auto Zone" of Canada. Appreciate it.

Ken,I have removed the outer on a lot of bikes in the last year to re-wire the passing lamps to work all the time and have found that quite a few no longer have the foam strip,these are the same guys that complained the radio was glitchy after they rode in the rain.We replaced any damaged or missing ones.When you replace it make sure you know what type of foam you are using.You have to use a closed cell foam.If you don't the open cell will absorb the water and act like a wick to the inner components.
Steve, since you have wired a lot of bikes for the passing lamps to stay on with high beams, have you seen any problems with too much current draw night driving??? That has always been one of my concerns doing it for a customer, since the factory see's fit not to do it.

Steve, since you have wired a lot of bikes for the passing lamps to stay on with high beams, have you seen any problems with too much current draw night driving??? That has always been one of my concerns doing it for a customer, since the factory see's fit not to do it.
I believe the factory does not wire it this way as I believe in most states it is illegal to have any other lites on when main lights are on high beam.:)

Back