free website stats program Out of ideas . Security system 2001 fatboy | Harley Davidson Forums

Out of ideas . Security system 2001 fatboy

New member :p i got a problem ... ok.. so .. battery was discharging and having problems starting after a couple rides, so, checked voltage reg, was pushing 11 volts. tested bad , replaced . ok a few days then same thing battery dead again right after a ride . my security system is pulling alot of amps out of the bike but do you think that would be the cause ? im talking over 200ma. after i put in the new VA and tested the batery running it was 13V when at about 2k rpm ( im guessing ) . stator was replaced last year when rotor chewed off and ate it lol (running a 124 ci with a open belt ) any ideas how i can try to take security system out of the loop to save some amps ? still... idk whay it would be dead right after a ride.. could use some input please , thanx in advence :cheers

You may want to be sure the battery is dead and not just a bad connection either on the battery or the cables, possibly load test the battery and test for resistance in the cables to be sure.
To remove the security if that's what you want to do, you can replace the TSSM with a TSM but I would try to isolate one problem at a time starting with the no start issue first.

yup had the battery load tested allready . connections all tight . did a draw test and pulled fuses , seems its the security system to blame (didnt even know i had one lol) am continuing to trouble shoot atm

still... wit ha big draw like that i dont think it should start fine ... go for a ride and then die ... very strange if ya ask me ... also , if i jump it it runs fine untill shut off

Last edited by a moderator:
What are you using to measure this 200ma draw and how/where are you placing it in the circuit.
What leads you to believe "seems its the security system to blame". What fuse did you pull and when you did pull it , what did the ma fall to.
Does your security system have a siren.

ok so this is messed up .... pulled all my fuses and starter relay ... still pulling 0.02-0.03 amps on the 10 amp scale ... 200ma amp scale just reads 1 and 10 amp is the next smalles i got

puting the meter between the ground and the negitive post on bat

short in a wire somewhere ??? GAH !!

charged battery fired it up and voltage comes up when reved...

ok so this is messed up .... pulled all my fuses and starter relay ... still pulling 0.02-0.03 amps on the 10 amp scale ... 200ma amp scale just reads 1 and 10 amp is the next smalles i got

You can't use a 10000 ma (10amp) scale and accurately measure 200 ma. And when you place the meter in the 200 ma scale it reads 1 ma.? That can't be either. The parasitic drain has to be greater than 1 ma. Sounds like a problem with your meter. (internal fuse blown)

What does the voltage come up to when engine RPM is increased. At what RPM & what value. How old is the battery. 13.0v @ 2000 RPM is barely enough.

checked fuse it fine ... it doesent read 1 amp it maxes out and reads 1 as a max value .. the only scale i can get a reading on is the 10 amp scale

batery new this year had it load tested last week , new voltage reg this week . no new accesories added , new stator last year .. but might be the problem since it doesnt seem to be charging at all... but does climb a bit when running ....

it doesent read 1 amp it maxes out and reads 1 as a max value

It's called "over-range". The meter is reading over-range in the 200 ma range?

When you race the engine, what is the MAXIMUM voltage you read across the battery and at what (appox) RPM.

Once again, do you have a siren on the security system.

no siren that i know of .. bought the bike used 5 years ago and until now i didnt even know there was a security system . yes over range on 200ma . or maybe meter is (EDIT) . its new but cheap . digital meter brand name Grip . it all seems quite strange to me . lets start from the begining ..... start if this season me speedo went dead anytime i got over about 10 mph. would came back when stopped or if i pulled in the clutch and coasted ... wierd i know .. replaced the speed sensor, same thing . took it in and was told it was the speedo itself and woud need to replace console directly from factory . couple weeks later went to a poker run and it started working . the next morning the bike hardly started( due to low battery ) charged it , took it in and had it load tested ... tested ok . couple more rides and same thing , dead bat. . teated voltage reg and it was reading 11 volts on pin to ground ... replaced it . ran good for about 3 days but didnt get much of a chargw when i tested the batery on running bike . so.. stator? what should the batery read across the terminals on full charge? mine only comes up about a volt . trying a forum cause im so frustrated with shops and cant seem to get it nailed down by searching the internet .. maybe im missing something . tested stator before replacing VR tested ok ...

Please read this...

A Friendly Reminder - Harley Davidson Community

If the parasitic drain is over 200ma (and it sounds like it is), that is a problem that needs to be address. But even with a 200ma drain, it would take 15 hours to weaken a fully charged battery. And once running,, the charging system would easily compensate for it. So you should only see a problem if the bike sat for a while. (at least a full day)

Sounds to me you have 2 problems. 1) Low charging output or some high voltage drops between the VR and the battery. 2) And a high parasitic drain.

With the engine running at 3000 RPM,, the voltage across the battery should be in the 14's. If it is less than that, your going to have problems keeping the battery fully charged.

Check for voltage drops on both the negative and positive output wires of the VR. The VR may not have a solid ground. Clean the mounting bolts and use internal star washers. If you have no voltage drops caused by high resistance breakers or connections, it could be weak magnets in the rotor.

Try checking the AC output of the stator to get an idea of how good the magnets are. You really need a tach to know what RPM your at. Check to see what the max AC voltage is from the stator. That may tell you about the strength of the magnets. This is a touchy topic because the stator is unloaded for this test so therefore it is NOT proof positive but you want to see a voltage in the high 50's,, even 60's. If it does not reach 50, I would say your magnets are shot or the stator is once again bad.

Back