free website stats program Organic or Sintered | Harley Davidson Forums

Organic or Sintered

--Bonez--

Ok guys it's time for new pads and I'm not sure what to get... Organic or Sintered.? The rotor(s) are OEM if that makes a difference...? What's best I don't wanna spend a whole lot of money on pads but I want good stopping power when needed

[QUOTE="--Bonez]Ok guys it's time for new pads and I'm not sure what to get... Organic or Sintered.? The rotor(s) are OEM if that makes a difference...? What's best I don't wanna spend a whole lot of money on pads but I want good stopping power when needed[/QUOTE]

Thought I woud revisit Bonez's query; Organic or Sintered; just a few thoughts for Bonez to consider while making the decision.

Wear
Sintered, being basically metal, will not require replacement as often as organic but will wear on the rotors faster.
Noise
Organic means quiet; sintered, being metal can be sqealycontacting a metal rotor.
Heat
Organic compound isolates heat from the brake fluid and caliper and sintered, being metal, allow more heat transfer to the caliper and brake fluid.
Warm Up
Organic pads provide full stopping power cold and sintered require some time to "warm up" before full stopping power is available.
Weather
Organic pads don't like rain and/or mud and give up some stopping power under those conditions; rain and/or mud have little effect on stopping power with sintered pads.
Cost
Sintered, all things being equal, are more expensive than organic.
Brake Dust
Sintered manufacturers claim no brake dist from their pads which may be true; however, having run oganic, particulalry Lyndall, I have not had an issue with brake pad dust, ever. Can't say brake pad dust is not an issue with other organic pads but not with Lyndall.

Which is better? I can't say having never run sintered brake pads so Bonez should do some research, consider the pros and cons of each and select whichever pad he believes suits his riding style and conditions best.

[QUOTE="--Bonez]Ok guys it's time for new pads and I'm not sure what to get... Organic or Sintered.? The rotor(s) are OEM if that makes a difference...? What's best I don't wanna spend a whole lot of money on pads but I want good stopping power when needed

Thought I woud revisit Bonez's query; Organic or Sintered; just a few thoughts for Bonez to consider while making the decision.

Wear
Sintered, being basically metal, will not require replacement as often as organic but will wear on the rotors faster.
Noise
Organic means quiet; sintered, being metal can be sqealycontacting a metal rotor.
Heat
Organic compound isolates heat from the brake fluid and caliper and sintered, being metal, allow more heat transfer to the caliper and brake fluid.
Warm Up
Organic pads provide full stopping power cold and sintered require some time to "warm up" before full stopping power is available.
Weather
Organic pads don't like rain and/or mud and give up some stopping power under those conditions; rain and/or mud have little effect on stopping power with sintered pads.
Cost
Sintered, all things being equal, are more expensive than organic.
Brake Dust
Sintered manufacturers claim no brake dist from their pads which may be true; however, having run oganic, particulalry Lyndall, I have not had an issue with brake pad dust, ever. Can't say brake pad dust is not an issue with other organic pads but not with Lyndall.

Which is better? I can't say having never run sintered brake pads so Bonez should do some research, consider the pros and cons of each and select whichever pad he believes suits his riding style and conditions best.[/QUOTE]

Great break down dolt...! Much appreciated... I've done some research this evening and probably will go with the organic or possibly a hybrid (something in between) of the sort.? I always like to come here for advice and to read other rider's opinions... Thanks, guys

+1 on what Dolt posted. He is generally spot on and very reliable with the information he provides.

I happen to be a sintered fan. Lyndall makes good (great) brake systems but even their less aggressive pads can do a number on stock rotors. If you're going to go the Lyndall route, replace the pads and the rotor.

Since you're wanting to do this on the cheap, EBC sintered pads are very good, just a tad more expensive than organics and will last a LOT longer. They don't need to be bedded but I always give the rotor a good clean and bed the new pads anyway just because.

Harley OEM rotors aren't the best (putting it mildly) but I'm wondering what pads were in play that chewed up the owner's rotor. ThunderRogue indicated that he replaced the pads and the rotors but didn't say what pads or rotors were installed. You really need to do your research if you plan to deviate from OEM since some sintered pads can be VERY aggressive and inappropriate for normal street riding. And some rotors are just plain junk. Talk to vendor tech support before buying. Lyndall, for example, will tell you not to put their sintered pads on an OEM rotor as it will definitely do a job on them.

IMHO if good stopping power is a priority you need an aftermarket solution.

+1 on what Dolt posted. He is generally spot on and very reliable with the information he provides.

I happen to be a sintered fan. Lyndall makes good (great) brake systems but even their less aggressive pads can do a number on stock rotors. If you're going to go the Lyndall route, replace the pads and the rotor.

Since you're wanting to do this on the cheap, EBC sintered pads are very good, just a tad more expensive than organics and will last a LOT longer. They don't need to be bedded but I always give the rotor a good clean and bed the new pads anyway just because.

Harley OEM rotors aren't the best (putting it mildly) but I'm wondering what pads were in play that chewed up the owner's rotor. ThunderRogue indicated that he replaced the pads and the rotors but didn't say what pads or rotors were installed. You really need to do your research if you plan to deviate from OEM since some sintered pads can be VERY aggressive and inappropriate for normal street riding. And some rotors are just plain junk. Talk to vendor tech support before buying. Lyndall, for example, will tell you not to put their sintered pads on an OEM rotor as it will definitely do a job on them.

IMHO if good stopping power is a priority you need an aftermarket solution.
Unfortunately, my memory is not what it used to be and I can't recall the mfgr of the pads I used. I do remember them being an off brand and I bought them from a local indy where I was living at the time. After they ruined my rear rotor I replaced it with OE Polished again and then went with EBC Organics. It is a Heritage after all and braking is really more of a suggestion on it. And I'm not an aggressive rider on it. Now the Dyna is a different story.

@ThunderRogue Lesson learned, right? :) Personally I don't have a lot of regard for HD OEM parts so any time I replace something I do so with a better quality aftermarket product if I can. I am not an especially aggressive rider in my old age either and as a former over the road CDL I tend to brake with the gears except for the final 5 MPH to zero stop. Replacing brake pads is an extremely rare event for me and the only reason why I stayed with OEM pads on this particular Harley was because it was on warranty and I had already reported a well-documented claim on defective/incorrectly installed brake parts. Of course the dealership did NOTHING about this which is one of many reasons why I hate the MoCo and their crooked dealerships.

Rant over. EBC are decent for light to moderate riding and I have been happy with them. I do run the sintered as I said, mostly because I am into riding not wrenching. I'll probably be long in the ground before the set that's on there now wear out. I have a set of GMAs on my 26 year old FXR that have been on there forever. Can't recall but they are probably organics.

Rare for an independent shop to be selling parts that will destroy your bike. Difficult to stay in business when you get a reputation for doing that.

IMHO, a non-aggressive, designed for street use sintered pad is an inexpensive upgrade to OEM pads that will last for a very long time so I wanted to hear the rest of your story. Sounds like the issue for you was being sold a cut-rate, low quality part and not anything to do with [quality, correct for your application] sintered pads per se.

Back