free website stats program Ordered my 2011 Fatboy,,need advice | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ordered my 2011 Fatboy,,need advice

Please do not make the mistake most Harley riders do, new, and old.
Do not buy anything from the dealer when U buy the bike.
Ride it and feel your riding style, everybody is different.
So many people buy a new HD and add all of the dealer advised options.
Wait, read fourms, and U will deceided what works for U.:small3d009:

Please do not make the mistake most Harley riders do, new, and old.
Do not buy anything from the dealer when U buy the bike.
Ride it and feel your riding style, everybody is different.
So many people buy a new HD and add all of the dealer advised options.
Wait, read fourms, and U will deceided what works for U.:small3d009:
Thanks very good advice, just what i need. I need to buy my own helmet , been using a borrowed one for the class, that will be a hard decision. i purchased some boots already.

I am a new guy, joined in October. I ended up having to order a Fatboy to get ABS. Should arrive next month. Ordered with ABS security, Black.
What are your thoughts on accessories? Like windshield, some type rack
for carrying items. Also order or get from HD.
I have been reading a lot of post on here, great information!!

AS I said in my new member post I took the 3 day safety course in October,
haven't ridden much in a long time.

Thanks in advance for any help and advice.

Welcome to the HDTimeline forum DavidFB, as others have suggested, the H-D Service Manual is the best accessory you can buy for your new bike. Next, pickup the "free" H-D Parts and Accessories catalog...and the Fit Your Bike flyer that shows you the riding "styles" and checking your "fit" regarding seating, reach to the controls etc. :)

And of course, practice low speed manuevers in the parking lot for about an hour at a stretch, learning to turn tightly left and right to eventually get the steering to be lock to lock, using rear brake and friction zone (slipping the clutch lever sweep midway) so you can keep the wheels in motion without putting your feet down. Riding skill is the most important key to your enjoyment. :s

The other stuff like windscreen, grips etc. are comfort mods...bags, sissy bar, 2-up seat, racks are convenience mods...and the ever present performance mods...Stage I A/C, Exhaust and Fueler for better breathing. These are all mods that can go on at anytime based on your experience and application needs. We are always here to help you with all of these, and of course the "devil" is in the details!:bigsmiley18:

, some type rack for carrying items.

Don't know if by "rack" you mean the little racks that are part of a Sissy Bar. If you do, don't make the same mistake I did. Don't buy a detachable model. Just get the style that bolts on directly and stays there. The detachable ones are nothing but problems and cost you more $$.

Good Luck with the New ride!:)

All the above is good advice David. Enjoy that FB as is for awhile. I will add that I do like having a windshield for keeping the bugs off and the more than occasional ride in the winter chill. I really like the looks of an unencumbered Fat Boy but I've already added bags since you can only carry so much stuff in your pockets and I intend to ride my 2000 FB to work frequently. I replaced the passenger pegs with mini-floorboards for my wonderful wife's comfort and added a sissy bar for peace of mind. The service manual is great reading even if you don't wrench much yet. You probably will in the future. You've done a smart thing with the safety course, I've scheduled mine for the end of Feb. The riding environment has changed a lot since I last rode 40 years ago. We need every advantage and skill we can get! This is a great place for information. Welcome.
Ishmael

Back