free website stats program Options to 95 c.i. upgrade on TC88 | Harley Davidson Forums

Options to 95 c.i. upgrade on TC88

sanec1

My 99 RKC has a K&N breather, Thunderheader slip ons (not true dual or 2-1), cam chain conversion with 21N cams and a TFI. One company said they would send out barrels and bore them and install SE pistons for $1940, taxes in. That includes port & polish included ($599)

Another company suggested a more agressive cam or I would be throwing my money away. Also $300 for the bore, $1400. for headwork, a Power Commander (?$), dyno tune($?) and $250 to $300 for pistons. Don't forget labor. Serious coin, over 3 k by my estimate.

The owner sounds knowledgable and suggested significant, reliable gains could also be made without doing the 95 upgrade or headwork by installing a compatible breather, cams, a Power Commander and some dyno time.

Anyone care to share their opinions? Thanks for taking the time.

I have 95" cylinder and piston kit from Harley, Vance & Hines CNC ported heads with over sized valves, Andrews 37B cams, Race Tuner. Dyno = 88HP, 97ft/lb torque. Heads are the key. My heads were only $1000.00. Just a little insight from mine, hope it helps. Also bike really runs excellent, gives it that extra power you feel you lose sometimes when riding 2 up, this is a real nice motor. Good Luck

Thanks for the input. OK- Glider, Hobbitt, Kemo and others whose opinions I value, aside from comments regarding how thick my wallet is, what opinions do you have?

If you're going for a more radical cam the head work will work to enhance the overall gain significantly. The 95 is a good upgrade but the 88 can be made to run real well without the extra work. The morelli throttle body is what may hold you back a bit here. Many options for upgrading in this area but none are cheap.

As far as whose opinion you value or not, you are gonna spend some $$$, I think it is funny that people want all this power but then start with how much $$$, lets face it, they all run good enough stock, so if you wanna upgrade and get some power you are gonna spend some money. And you said 1400.00 for headwork, my new Vance and Hines CNC ported heads were only 1000.00, which is cheaper than your 1400.00. My 95" cylinders and piston were 350 for cylinders plus 175 for pistons. Clearly whoever gave you these prices are a little high.

I value everyones opinion on this forum. I am looking for personal experience with parts, like your post drumrguy. The RK ran fine stock but it's even more fun now for minimal cash outlay. It's not the cash I'm concerned with, it's whether the mods compliment each other. Glider's point about the throttle body is what I need to hear. You reach a point of diminishing returns. I put up this post to show the vast difference in price and what a couple companies quoted me. I thought it might be interesting to explore options and have folks spend my money for me :s. I e-mailed the guy who quoted the $1400. heads and thanked him for the info. I explained since I just added the upgrades I mentioned in the original post this summer for now I will "just ride it"

Thanks for your comments, everyone!

I too want to eventually do a 95in conversion. I want to build one like Joe Menton of American Rider recomends. The one he recommends is one of the best street motors around , see link 95 Conversion . It uses the Andrews 21 cam and makes its power right here we spend most of our time riding at. In my opinion this is the most cost effective performance improvement you can do. You have already done the cam conversion with the Andrews 21n cam so you are half way to a terrific motor:s.
Randall

Here is another link for another article that Joe Minton has written on the subject Elements of Power: Torque - and how to get some . As you can see by the third paragraph from the end this is powerful engine that improves on torque as well as gas mileage, as well as very sreetable. This combo will win most 5th gear roll on contests (55-100 mph). So i ask do you really need more?
Randall

Last edited by a moderator:
That's what I want- a stump puller. I like that low end torque and want to add some pony's for when I'm touring. When choosing cams Herko sent me the Joe Minton link. Thats why I went with the 21N. I wanted low end torque and a cam that would work with the 95 upgrade. Called TFI to make sure the unit I bought would work with the 95 too.

Thanks Randall for the links and Hobitt for asking some good questions.

I just want to free up some HP without sacrificing rideability and durability.

That's what I want- a stump puller. I like that low end torque and want to add some pony's for when I'm touring. When choosing cams Herko sent me the Joe Minton link. Thats why I went with the 21N. I wanted low end torque and a cam that would work with the 95 upgrade. Called TFI to make sure the unit I bought would work with the 95 too.

Thanks Randall for the links and Hobitt for asking some good questions.

I just want to free up some HP without sacrificing rideability and durability.

HERE GOES MY OPINION::::::::

For what you have done to it right now,,,,,,

I WOULD GO TO 95" using WISECO or Scrm'n eagle pistons 10.25 TO ONE AND HANG ON WITH BOTH HANDS..... thats hang on (.)

compression makes a BIG DIFFERENCE on the LOW END and your cams aren't BIG enough to cam it away(a good thing)...... PERFECT for what you have and want...... YOUR BUTT WILL SQUISH BACK INTO THE SEAT with one twist of the right hand.... NOW THATS POWER......

i have used 10.0/1,,, 10.5/1 and liked 10.25/1 much better........10/1 would still give you POWER on the low end on your big bike .....

DON'T BUY junk (cheap) pistons,,,,, stay with GOOD brand names.. scream'n eagle makes a good TEFLON COATED at 10.25/1 .... USED in my 2000 95" dyna with over 50,000 miles on them.... still pumping HIGH static compression 205/208

MIND YOU on my lighter weight and style bike,,,I use flowed and ported heads,, larger valves ,, high lift G cams.......BUT just the bump in pistons for higher compression (at least 10.0/1,,, I'd prefer 10.25/1)) for you will give you what YOU WANT,,,,, a BEAST..... and for a lot LESS$$$$$

signed....BUBBIE

Last edited:
I think that 10.25:1 pistons are actually too much for this cam. At about 195 psi cranking pressure Harley engines start to dentonate. 9.5:1 pistons when combined with a Cometic .030 head gasket put you right at the ideal range of 190 psi. You have to take into consideration corrected compression ratios with cam selections.
The Wiseco pistons or Screaming Eagle pistons would be a good choice though.

Back