free website stats program Optional Rear Tire Size | Harley Davidson Forums

Optional Rear Tire Size

Nightowl

Account Removed
I have read all I could find on tire sizes. Either I missed it or did not understand. I have a 2005 Heritage. The OEM rear tire is D401 150/80B16. I am about ready for new tires and would like to got to whitewalls. However the price difference for whitewall in the 150/80B16 is much higher than the D402. Can anyone tell me if I can run a rear tire D402 402 MU85B16, this is the same size as the Deluxe runs. I think the rims are the same. If so how will the mileage compare to the D401? Or are there other suggestion. I will stay with the Dulops since I will not be replacing both tires at the same time. Front very soon. Back will run till later this summer.

Thanks.

The best info i could find on a size comparison is

In tire sizes were using the metric, alphanumeric and indicating ... The alpha-numeric MU85B16 is actually closest in dimensions to a 140/ 90B16 metric but they not identical. ...

I am pretty sure that the d402 will give good mileage results but i am not sure i would want to match it with a d401 on the front without a wee bit more research as just because they are made by the same company for similar application does not mean they will work together as a pair

Brian

fin_676 is absolutely correct. Running 2 different type tires will cause adverse handling and compromise ride. If front tire is close to worn out why not just replace the 2 tires and have a great riding, handling bike. For the difference in money the satisfaction of white wall tires will be a plus.

I am not running two different tire types. OEM Specs, owers manual, even J & P's chart all call for the D402F MT 90B16 on the Front and D401150/80B16 on the rear. I have been to three different HD Stores and have got the deer in the headlights look from them all. I see alot of 402 on the back of FLSTC's (whitewalls). I guess I will just wait until I can talk someone who has been there and done that. It just doesn't seem like it should be this hard. As for changing both tires at the same time. Front is 6 years old and I am changing it now since I am about to leave on a trip from PA to NC and back up through WV. The rear only has 3500 on it. Too cheap to change it before it's time.

Thanks to FNN 676 and DBMG. This is such a great site.

OEM Specs, owners manual, even J & P's chart all call for the D402F MT 90B16 on the Front and D401150/80B16 on the rear.

For what it's worth, my '06 manual (Heritage Classic) calls for the same two tires quoted above.

Back