free website stats program Opps, opened crankcase and dropped gears. | Harley Davidson Forums

Opps, opened crankcase and dropped gears.

pTc138

I know, I screwed up my 2002 Sportster pretty big here.

I opened crankcase and the cam gears dropped out. Shouldn't have even opened the case.... What do I need to do to get the gears in there and timed right.

Thanks for your help, I'm gonna need it.

Don't know the particulars of a 2002 Sporty but there are usually alingment marks on cam gears. you can search the threads and see if you find something specific or you may need to pick up a service manual for the details.

If your mechanically inclined and have the tools,read or go get the manual for your scoot, if not on the above, take it to a shop - be it a HD or a indy.

Thanks!
I found this manual "1998 HARLEY DAVIDSON XLH8831200 Sportster Motorcycle Service Manual" in the downloads section.
The engine and components should be the same right? I mean the engine wasn't really changed until a few years ago. Or am I way off?

Thanks!
I found this manual "1998 HARLEY DAVIDSON XLH8831200 Sportster Motorcycle Service Manual" in the downloads section.
The engine and components should be the same right? I mean the engine wasn't really changed until a few years ago. Or am I way off?
the cam gears didnt change untill the rubber mount so the 98 manual should be good for correct alignment of the gears
but prior to trying to put them in youll have to remove the rocker covers and rockers
and remove the pushrods or youll never get the gears back in
read the manual youve found and take your time
happend to me first time i pulled the gear case of

Back