free website stats program Opinons - Aluminum Polishing Tips Needed | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Opinons - Aluminum Polishing Tips Needed

After you finish with the semi chrome, use some flour (like you make bread with) to clean it up. it will show anywhere you have any residue left over.

Nice tip Mattman! I hate finding residue 1-week after cleaning. This is why HDTimeline's awesome - good peeps & gr8 ideas w/o all the profanity.

what is the best methods and cleaners/polish for making aluminum engine parts look like chrome.

Like most other things, preparation is the key. Simichrome and Mothers Al. are very good. If you really want the best shine, wet sand the Al. to get all imperfections out. Depending on the condition, I usually start out with 600 grit and work up to 2500. I also use a buffing wheel and jewelers rouge on a bench grinder, if the part is off the bike. Once polished to my liking, I protect with pure wax (no cleaners). You won't ever get a chrome shine, but like Chopper said, a warm glow, that I like as well as chrome.

I would highly recommend Extreme or Xtreme, it will make it look like chrome, gonna use some elbow power but it works great.

Mothers aluminum polish and elbow grease,I have tried those polishing balls that go in a drill but you have to be careful not to slip because they will damage your aluminum "learned that the hard way"

Simi-chrome does great, and looks better each time you use it. Once you get the aluminum to a smooth polished condition, then Classic-Cloth is all you need. Both products work great. For pipes, I use blue-away, followed by simi-chrome.

Enjoy,
Rich P

Mothers aluminum polish and elbow grease,I have tried those polishing balls that go in a drill but you have to be careful not to slip because they will damage your aluminum "learned that the hard way"

Absolutely!!! Mothers is the best if the chrome is in fair condition. Avoid the electric drill thingys because they can bite.

If your alloy is badly pitted you might need some 1200 to 2000 wet and dry sandpaper to polish out the marks before you use the mothers. If you decide on the sandpaper route start with the 2000 and be sure you rub smoothly and in fairly big curves. That is, don't just use your index finger in the marked spot to get rid of the mark or else you will end up with a groove in your alloy.

Love the look of polished alloy and it is easy to polish out a stone chip unlike chrome.

Cheers

Neil

I have been polishing aluminum on my 72 shovel for 34 yrs and have used every product mentioned here many times.I have always looked for a miracle product that you wipe on and wipe off but there is none.I am currently using a product called wenol and it works great ,but like other products still takes time and elbow grease.

Back