free website stats program Opinions welcome... | Harley Davidson Forums

Opinions welcome...

Currently putting most my miles on the '07 Fatboy w/ 16" Apes and SE103" - runs great. I generally only ride long distances. Very rarely do I use my bike as a commuter. I have a great set of Boss bags and T-bag w/ roll; so plenty of storage when I travel. The ONE thing missing is cruise control. I have a nice little thumb lock, minimal effort to give my throttle hand a break.

I made the mistake of riding a buddy's bike with cruise and it was SO nice. I have looked at installing cruise on my fatboy and it would cost approximately $900.00; I'd do the labor myself.

So, started looking at Street Glides. Nice looking bikes and have all that I would be looking for.

Has anyone had both of these models? Any insight to one versus the other? Or if you've owned a Street Glide, are there better years to look for? Any short comings?

Opinions welcome!
Thanks,
Kerry

I owned a 05 and a 10 Fatboy. I also owned a streetglide. Just the fact that you use your bike for long rides I would recommend the Street Glide!

Better ride, storage, wind protection, tunes, and the 09 plus handle great.

I have always like Fatboys after first seeing Terminator 2.

I own a SG and have rented a FB.

As previously mentioned, the SG is really set up nice for the long rides like you said you do - fairing, tunes, cruise. The main differences are sitting position (sit on the bike with the SG vs. in the bike with the FB) and engines (SG shakes at idle but smooths out at speed vs. balanced motor on the FB.)

You didn't mention any passenger. If you carry one frequently the touring bikes generally are more comfortable for them.

The '08 SG's got the 6 gallon fuel tank and Brembo brakes. The '09 and up ones have the improved touring frame and bigger rear tire.

Have fun making your decision and let us know which way you go!

Currently putting most my miles on the '07 Fatboy w/ 16" Apes and SE103" - runs great. I generally only ride long distances. Very rarely do I use my bike as a commuter. I have a great set of Boss bags and T-bag w/ roll; so plenty of storage when I travel. The ONE thing missing is cruise control. I have a nice little thumb lock, minimal effort to give my throttle hand a break.

I made the mistake of riding a buddy's bike with cruise and it was SO nice. I have looked at installing cruise on my fatboy and it would cost approximately $900.00; I'd do the labor myself.

So, started looking at Street Glides. Nice looking bikes and have all that I would be looking for.

Has anyone had both of these models? Any insight to one versus the other? Or if you've owned a Street Glide, are there better years to look for? Any short comings?

Opinions welcome!
Thanks,
Kerry

New bikes are nice, but if you are comfortable on the fatboy $900 is a lot cheaper than $20k+. Only you can make that decision.

Well I made the decision. I ended up installing cruise on the Fatboy. Decided to head to Tx (from Lincoln, Ne) for the initial test run.
Cruise control worked great. The only problem was I stopped in Moore, Ok for a cold drink (and tshirt for the fiance) and ended up trading for an '11 SG. :swoon

Well I made the decision. I ended up installing cruise on the Fatboy. Decided to head to Tx (from Lincoln, Ne) for the initial test run.
Cruise control worked great. The only problem was I stopped in Moore, Ok for a cold drink (and tshirt for the fiance) and ended up trading for an '11 SG. :swoon

Oh Wow! That was an expensive cruise control install! Congrats on the new iron. Pics would be nice................

Bodeen

Congrats on the new bike!

At least someone will eventually get a nice, used Fat Boy with cruise already installed! :p

Back