free website stats program Opinions please.... | Harley Davidson Forums

Opinions please....

glazier

I'm seriously thinking about trading my 2000 Heritage for a new Ultra Limited. I love my bike and it's running great, but would love to have the bigger motor, 6 speed, radio, more comfort, etc. as I'd like to go on long rides soon and see the country on two wheels. But after reading a lot of these posts, it seems that when I buy a brand new bike for almost 25 grand, then I need to upgrade the air cleaner, put on new pipes, change the fueler, and have it dynoed, so it will run cooler. Is a brand new stock bike really that hot??? So 25K for new and then what, another 2K for upgrades plus chrome goodies??? Is it worth it??? Seems like there's a lot of problems with fuel injection, or am I wrong here??? I thought it would be better than my carb. Carb probably easier to work on too. And I don't mind the extra two minutes it takes for my bike to warm up. Since I recently went with bigger cams and rebuilt my CV carb, it idles on its own much quicker. Another plus is my bike is paid for. What do y'all think???

My opinion is that at the end of your post you figured it out for yourself. Just my 2 cents
Ken

Yep, answered your own question and quite well, I might add. Good reasoning like that will keep a new bike out of your garage for no telling how long.

I'm seriously thinking about trading my 2000 Heritage for a new Ultra Limited. I love my bike and it's running great, but would love to have the bigger motor, 6 speed, radio, more comfort, etc. as I'd like to go on long rides soon and see the country on two wheels. But after reading a lot of these posts, it seems that when I buy a brand new bike for almost 25 grand, then I need to upgrade the air cleaner, put on new pipes, change the fueler, and have it dynoed, so it will run cooler. Is a brand new stock bike really that hot??? So 25K for new and then what, another 2K for upgrades plus chrome goodies??? Is it worth it??? Seems like there's a lot of problems with fuel injection, or am I wrong here??? I thought it would be better than my carb. Carb probably easier to work on too. And I don't mind the extra two minutes it takes for my bike to warm up. Since I recently went with bigger cams and rebuilt my CV carb, it idles on its own much quicker. Another plus is my bike is paid for. What do y'all think???

Id install slip ons air clener and fueler yourself for under 1000...You do not need to dyno the bike......Oh....I wish I had carbs:)

My opinion is, if you really want it, you will pay the price.
Pipes, AC, tfi is the quick and easy extras
No matter what, you will never be done adding on

You even said that you just did the cams on your current bike
If your riding style is changing, as you said longer trips, maybe it is time to upgrade

I never wanted fuel injection. In 2008 I purchased my 1st fuel injected bike. The over all smoothness of performance is amazing. I would not concentrate on the upgrades right away, for after you get used to the Limited you will probably never have enough time to install upgrade because you will never want to stop riding it. The Limited is very cool but do not forget the Ultra and save a couple grand. Remember: "Someday You Will Own A BAGGER"

Yep, answered your own question and quite well, I might add. Good reasoning like that will keep a new bike out of your garage for no telling how long.

But I want one real bad!!!!! :( Not sure why, just do. :D Maybe because they just look so pretty. After riding for about 150-200 miles, my back hurts real bad. Was wondering if a new Ultra would help out there. Not fun to be several hundred miles from home, back starts acting up, and I'm in agony all the way home. Kinda takes the fun out of the ride :newsmile08:
Was checking out some of the aftermaket riders backrests I see on Ebay, but not sure if that will help, or if they will push me further up on the bike. A lot of them are of the "homemade" variety, and not real crazy about the looks of them.

I bought the Electra Glide " Classic" a little cheaper, then fixed it up to my taste..... the BEST move I ever made.... do your research ... look around.. don't buy the first shiney one you see... the right bagger and deal will come around and you will be very happy you made the move... JMHO......

Glazier, there is a demo ride at Longhorn Harley-Davidson in Grand Prairie, TX on September 23 - 24. Take a new limited out and see what you think, plenty of time to work on that down payment too.

And if you still have your heart set on a new one ... do yourself a favor and besure and look at the Harley shop in Paris, Tx. ... they seam to have better deals than the big city shops...

Back