free website stats program Opinions on what bike to get the wife | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Opinions on what bike to get the wife

I would think that the best bike for her would be the one that she is most comfortable on and also meets any budget requirements. If you've got those two things covered then I think it's a good start.

Too bad HD didn't still have their Sportster "trade-in/trade-up" program...like a few years back. Then she could've started w/Sporty & migrated to bigger bike later down the road.

Like everyone has said. Get one that feels right to her and one she likes.

Just don't let her try a V Rod. My lady tried one and loved it. it's light, low, well balanced and fast!!! if she gets one of those the only thing you will see is her taillight fading into the distance. :small3d031:

My advise for the Mrs. was to get the one she wanted and ride it like she stole it. Brother-in-law gave her the same. Visited some dealerships and they tried to sell her a new Sportster 883 Low. Mrs. bought herself a 2002 Sporster Hugger. Not the one I would have picked, but, she didn't want to drop the "bomb" at this time for the one she really wanted, a Heritage Softail Classic. I think the dealership advise caused her to be a bit intimidated on the weight and size of the larger bikes. Also, her thinking was she didn't know just how much solo riding that she would do as she says she enjoys the 2 up riding alot. She doesn't have much tied up in her Sportster and when or if she upgrades she should get almost if not all of what she paid for it in trade or just selling outright. She found a nice one, it is in very good condition with heated grips, forward controls and had some added bling, plus it runs very good and had 24,800 miles and priced right. So far, about 100 miles and she is ready to quit riding for a while. Not having cruise is her biggest complaint. You are getting good advise and she has to be comfortable with her pick. Good luck!

Like everyone has said. Get one that feels right to her and one she likes.

Just don't let her try a V Rod. My lady tried one and loved it. it's light, low, well balanced and fast!!! if she gets one of those the only thing you will see is her taillight fading into the distance. :small3d031:

Mainah, I did not need to read this.......:D I love the V-Rod, but the deuce may have gotten most of that out of my system, some day I will have the Road King in the stable, but I'm holding off to see if we can keep the high spirited deuce, (hubby currently says I can trade it, but nothing has really spoke to me enough to make me let go of the deuce.....I would have bought Glider's bike gladly but timing was off....hubby said we didn't have the $$ available then) :D I know a lot of folks may be thinking....hmmm, she does just what hubby tells her.......well, that may not be totally true, but all of our cars and bikes are paid off and we have never paid on anything longer than 6 or 7 months, so yeah, when it comes to finances, I let him rule, but I don't want for much. :s

My argument to him is that I have to 'want' something, otherwise I wouldn't get up at 3 am to go off to work 4 days a week. :D But, when I win the lottery, I may have a big time at the Harley shop, LOL.

Well, the hunt ended this evening. She completed the safety course with flying colors and has spent nearly every waking hour the weeks pror to and after looking at and setting on many different bikes. We're lucky enough to have five dealerships within 50 miles of home with a lot of bikes to look at. I took the advice form you guys and let her look and search.

Well, as I said, she spotted a 2007 Heritage, Black Cherry in color with 4400 miles. It has been very well kept and is in perfect condition. All stock except for the V&H pipes he had the dealership put on when new. One owner, a 5O'ish year old man that treated it like his baby. Safe to say, it's the one that caught her eye. And, I have to admit, I'm very impressed with her find. I had started thinking this was all about the shopping! :laugh

I'm happy for her and look forward to getting her started. Solw but sure is the process we'll use.....

You're bringing back memories from 2 years ago. I had never been in the driver's seat before and then I signed up for the MSF course. Completed that and my husband and I got my bike. First, we looked at Sportsters (probably because they were the smallest). Then, a great salesman told my husband one day (when I wasn't there), "Don't let her get on a Deluxe." His reason had to do with where the weight was carried. That did it, only I felt like I got more bike for the money with the Heritage. My 2009 Heritage now has nearly 15,000 miles on it and I keep a grin on my face. Congratulations to your wife and may the two of you share thousands of happy safe miles together. Sounds like her bike is a beauty!!!!

Well, the hunt ended this evening. She completed the safety course with flying colors and has spent nearly every waking hour the weeks pror to and after looking at and setting on many different bikes. We're lucky enough to have five dealerships within 50 miles of home with a lot of bikes to look at. I took the advice form you guys and let her look and search.

Well, as I said, she spotted a 2007 Heritage, Black Cherry in color with 4400 miles. It has been very well kept and is in perfect condition. All stock except for the V&H pipes he had the dealership put on when new. One owner, a 5O'ish year old man that treated it like his baby. Safe to say, it's the one that caught her eye. And, I have to admit, I'm very impressed with her find. I had started thinking this was all about the shopping! :laugh

I'm happy for her and look forward to getting her started. Solw but sure is the process we'll use.....
Congrats.....I sort of feel like the bike will come to you if you let it. :D I tell my husband, 'I don't look for this stuff, it just finds me'. :D

Back