free website stats program Opinions on correct "tip" to local wrench and indy owner | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Opinions on correct "tip" to local wrench and indy owner

IMO, no tip is needed. If you want to do as others have suggested (pizza, beer or whatever after the job is finished) that's up to you. I have done it for a few high quality professionals I have know for a long time.

I think tipping sets a bad standard and the people involved will start to feel one is required every time your bike is in for service. We pay enough for service as it is. These folks are professionals, not serving staff at your local eatery.

I don't think this a job area that gets gratuity consideration.

With some jobs employers pay workers with the expectation that tips will make up the difference. A good automotive or motorcycle shop that is going be successful should be paying a wage that rewards the skill of each employee. I should not be expected to make up their deficit in pay (they shouldn't have a deficit in pay if it is a well run shop).

Like BUBBIE said, tell them and their management that the job was well done.

About as far as I might go would be like HDDon, Skootch and Jack said, bring them some pizza, bbq or chicken for lunch. In my opinion this would still be a rare reward for me to give a well paid mechanic to do what I expect him to do.

I have turned down tips @ work in the past only to find some money shoved in an envelope placed on my tool box, these were long time customers, that would be offended if I did not take the money, Tho i always did the best I could for them and Always did a bit extra for them, They would some times come in when I was off and refuse service when I was not there, This always made me feel EXTRA good:s

I have turned down tips @ work in the past only to find some money shoved in an envelope placed on my tool box, these were long time customers, that would be offended if I did not take the money, Tho i always did the best I could for them and Always did a bit extra for them, They would some times come in when I was off and refuse service when I was not there, This always made me feel EXTRA good:s

Just goes to show how "Stand-up" of a guy you are Jack!!!!

Here's some more "food for thought".

Our lives depend on service and repairs being done properly. Do you want to ris whether the repairs were properly completed based on how well you tip as a customer?

I dont so much leave a tip but I have brought beer and food and more importantly I act as an evangelist for the shop to try to get them more business which I think is way more important than a simple tip.

I take my bike to an independent shop ( Chosin Cycles Firearms in Sierra Vista, Arizona )

The owner/mechanic does great work and most of all, I trust him completely.

Example - In February I took my RK in for service/fluid changes. The girl at the counter gets him so he can write up the ticket. He asks if I had ever changed my cam bearings. I said – here comes the sales pitch. His reply – I don’t have time to take more money from you. He is so busy he’s not looking for more work. Not many business people will say that.

My tip is ---- I pay in CASH. How he chooses to report that is up to him. :s

I use one place for service, help, or just ask dumb questions,..I don't give him much..but sometimes I will pass him a gift card to the mexican place next door...I feel he goes out of his way to help me and do a good job.. Just trying to be nice to the guy..cool guy, hard worker.. nothing wrong with a few free tacos....:D

My opinion is that if the guy performing the work on your ride is also the owner of the shop.....no tip! He's the one that gave you the quote on the work and is making ALL the profit on the job. If they guy performing the work on your bike is an employee then tip away! Thats how I roll anyway!

Back