free website stats program Opinions on best stage I air cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

Opinions on best stage I air cleaner

dr robert

I think I need to upgrade my air cleaner. I have an 06 Street Bob with Vance and Hines big radius pipes. It backfires like crazy when I let off the gas. Can someone tell me the steps and approximate cost to get fully to stage I? Thanks.

Replace the air cleaner assy with a stage 1 air cleaner assy then if its FI add a fuel tuner if its carbed rejet

The stage one consists of mufflers(which you have) low restriction intake of your choice (SE units are good) and a fueler of your choice ( I like the TFI) . Prices will vary depending on your choices.

Check out the self help area, there's some prices in there for the various fuelers.

Thanks guys. I do not have a fueler. My engine is fuel injected. I have heard that there is one brand of air cleaner set up that is best ( better than SE for some reasons), but I don't remember the name of it. Seems like with this one, you do not have to buy extra parts or something?????

Bit of research you may find the heavy breather from Hd is a better made product and can be had at better price. The Arlan Ness big suckers is a knock off of the HD heavy breather.

no the big suckers are a knock off of the SE basic kit not the heavy breather

Another less expensive way is to cutback the existing or SE air cleaner housing cover and change the element to a K&N. Just a thought...K&N filter elements are $65-$80 without buying a housing...not bad, and technically the bigger the better from a performance standpoint.

tn182s3.jpg

Last edited:
I hear you. I guess consumers in the States don't realize how much you guys have to pay in taxes etc. It works the same in the US if we try to buy somethings from GB. I fool around with vintage Honda's, and to get parts from some vendors over there we have to pay some sort of huge tax. I think it was about 20% added to the price. Not sure what it was called. I just said NO, and found another supplier.

I will check out prices on the HD heavy breather. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back