free website stats program Opinions Anyone? | Page 3 | Harley Davidson Forums

Opinions Anyone?

My 07 has had some work done on it, all under warranty (happy that i purchased the extended warranty).
That being said...i will be keeping mine and rebuilding it if i have to. I'm just not a fan of all the electronics on the new scoots.
I believe 2008 was the last year of a true Harley. I know that some will disagree, but the newer models are just a way to catch up to the rest of the motorcycling world. How many years did it take BMW to get the electronics worked out on their scoots before they had the reliability of a Timex watch???

If HD does not come out a winner with the M8
It is over
Pans, shovels and knucks were Great bikes
The Flathead was indestructible
It could idle ALL day with its huge cooling fins and not over heat
But was not up on power nor fuel efficient

I believe 2008 was the last year of a true Harley. I know that some will disagree, but the newer models are just a way to catch up to the rest of the motorcycling world. How many years did it take BMW to get the electronics worked out on their scoots before they had the reliability of a Timex watch???

What is a "true Harley anyway? Why 2008? What are the marked differences between 2001 and 2008? Six speed and ABS? I don't believe that the MoCo is trying to catch up to the rest of the motorcycle world but is being dragged, kicking and screaming, in that direction while trying to maintain the brand. The 2017 M8 appears to be a reasonable effort to conform by eliminating some of the problems associated with being forced to catch up while actually making real improvements but maintaining the brand as well. If you get my drift.;)

What I meant by 2008 and prefaced by some might disagree, is as my other replies to posts related to M8 discussion else where, this technology that started with the exhaust under frame 2009 then the Rushmore trying water cooling and now the dual plugs and counter balancers upgraded suspension etc. was all on my older Kawasaki's and Honda. I will agree that after the 15 million dollar settlement Harley has been dragged into the modern age at the speed of light which I feel is catching up. Harley in my opinion, has made more technologically advancement since 2008 and you would know better than I Dolt than they have in the history of the brand. Please do not get me wrong there has been incremental improvements over the years to keep up with the market but non so much as been done since 2009. I agree with Jack that if this M8 is not a grand slam Harley may just find it self at odds with Indian again for it seems they are gaining ground if ever so slightly......;)

My 07 now has over 140,000 on it, but is still trustworthy and comfortable. All upgrades have been done by me. All warranty work by HD. Extended warranty will end soon. Then I am on my own. I'm not a bad wrench so I'm not worried about breakdowns or rebuilds, but I also know that if I want to deal it I should do it now. While it still has extended a dealer can check it out and repair anything that is wrong. Give me the best value for the bike and basically sell it as refurbished with dealer warranty. After that it is just another used high mileage bike. The new ones have a lot of upgrades however my bike is my bike. I have a few other bikes in the garage but this is the one I always ride. So do I deal it or keep it? Please provide your reasoning for each

I am not sure this will help but.......I normally get a new bike every 3 years. I cross over 100,000 miles and then get a new one.

I am not handy like you but have ALL my services done right and on time. Bike rides great! THIS year I went to scope out a NEW bike again and when I say the price is up to almost $30K I said NO FREAKING WAY! Yes, I shell out $30K easily but that just seems like TOO MUCH for 1/2 a car.

So I decided to help it for a few more years, bring the bike up to about where yours is, then I would have gotten 2 more years out of it making the cost per year much less, then purchase like a 1 yr old used bike. <-- This way I can get a good discount, the warranty that comes with it, and no concerns (or minimal concerns) of being stranded somewhere.

The above my friend is more of a "feel" than anything else. I know bikes can go way north of 140,000 miles but I just think that is pushing it unnecessarily when you can get just get a new one at this point.

BuzzCap7

Back