free website stats program Opinion on changing ignition system | Harley Davidson Forums

Opinion on changing ignition system

dangerdan

I have a 95 FLHTC 80 CI carburated engine with electric start.
The bike runs great after it warms up, but the only ignition parts replaced were the plugs and ignition cable.
When I bought the bike from my brother inlaw he wanted to change the stock ignition to an external aftermarket one with points.
Reason: Ease in maintenance if he broke down.

I am considering the change but the stock system has been reliable, but are there any advantage to changing the stock system to one using points or even a magneto.

I would rather have reliability then ease of maintenance.

1) Does an ignition system with points or even a magneto require any type of machine work ?
2) Are engines with magneto systems harder to start in colder weather ?
3) Are either of these 2 conversions worth the effort ?

I am sure there are upgrades availble to the existing system to make it better.

The ignition wires/coil and plugs are a no brainer.
What about the computor module, can it be reprogrammed ?
Are there any upgrades for the Ignition Sensor Plate ?
Is there a manufacture you would recommend over the stock Harley parts

OR DO I SIMPLY FORGET THE CONVERSION AND GO TO THE HARLEY DEALER AND START REPLACED ALL RELATED IGNITION PARTS.

:bigsmiley30:

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry about the edit on your post, wasn't paying attention:D

I would say stay with the stock parts, they are pretty much bullet proof and breakdowns are few and far between.
If you want to reprogram the ECM, you have to replace it with a 97 unit that was the first year they could be re flashed. There are very few problems with the stock ignitions that aren't man made.

Point systems are kinda goof proof but remember that as the rubbing block on the points wears from normal use, the timing and point dwell also change, that was the reason for going to the newer systems from the point systems.

If you are having a cold start problem, I would check the jetting and also the choke/enricher to make sure that it is working properly.

Back