free website stats program Opinion/Feeback - Red versus Amber Lenses (Rear Turn Signals) | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Opinion/Feeback - Red versus Amber Lenses (Rear Turn Signals)

I don't about the legality in some states but I'm a fireman and rescue person, and from experience that the amber shows up better at night specially in fog that our amber lights (which now are required on new fire trucks). They sure saved my life and that of another fireman as well one foggy night.:hii

DOT was slow on the uptake when Japanese starting adding amber to their taillight turnsignals when it was the "LAW" that red was always to be view from the rear and white was to be view from the front and amber was to be the view from either side. By the time they caught on, most all Japanese imports had the ambers viewable from every side...OPPS. I follow the DOT convention, even though there is now a mixture, so do what you feel comfortable with...BUT if you get stopped by a "Mountie" for non compliance and your light has no DOT imprint on the bezel...THEY GOT YOU, fix-it ticket fine, replace with DOT approved version and have it inspected and written off with a trip to the local constabulary or court $$$$!

One more note on this subject,make sure you have reflective lenses,Canada and U.S. no matter how bright those light are if you don't have reflective lenses your not legal!

Here we dont get an option,colored lens is ok(gray)but they got to flash amber when you signal.Personally,I dont like them much,but from a safety point of view,the factory ambers are for me everytime.Like they say,life is full of little trade offs,and this is one thats worth it.

Well, all I know is that I want to be seen from the back. If it irritates someone riding with me or the car behind me, I'm a happy guy. However, when I put the brakes on, I want it to be much brighter than the running lights.

With that being said, on my Ultra there just isn't much area to place additional lights etc.. (I've got a Ugly leather tour pack) I installed the HD LED tail light which does help. Key word, tail light. (singular) So, for night, I got some of the black reflective tap that looks white at night in the lights and installed on the back saddle bags. Good for night, but invisible during the day which doesn't help much during the day. Anyone that has a good idea for lights for day use, let me know. (The dual lighting system on the 07 Ultra seems to have some issue is reason I don't install the module) Ok, just my 2 cents worth. Have a good day.
Ugly John

Back