Opinion/Feeback - Red versus Amber Lenses (Rear Turn Signals)

Discussion in 'General Harley Davidson Topic' started by MilitaryMike, Mar 10, 2009.

1. MilitaryMike

MilitaryMike Member

Good Day Everyone,

Looking for your opinion/feedback on the following:

I recently installed the Auxiliary Running Light / Brake Light / Turn Signal Conversion Kit w/red lenses on my bike to increase my visibility on the freeways, especially at night.

I was thinking of changing the red turn signal lenses (that came with kit) back to amber, I believe this will give me even more added visibility in a "sea of red lights" on the freeways.

All comments are welcome.

2. 5Pack

5Pack Member

Hey Mike,
    I posted something similar to this on another thread....something about wanting more light behind me on the EGC. I installed the same thing you have done. JMO, red means "stop" and cagers are "pre-programmed" to see red brake lights. If HD made a good looking 12"x12" red brake light, I'd probably have that one on. I like mine just the way they are....
    BTW, thanks much for your service!

3. Billybob

Billybob Member

Amber for sure!

4. KPFLHRSI

KPFLHRSI Member

I also like the amber.

Kevin

5. glider

glider Veteran Member

I agree with Lew on this one. I rode with a guy that had that module and the running lights were so bright, you had to be aware if it was brake lights or just the running lights lit. I wouldn't ride behind him after he installed that.

Also check into your local laws about amber lights being lit on the back of the bike. That's why the amber lights on the rear of the bikes are not illuminated unless the signal is on.

6. 06BLACKGLIDE

06BLACKGLIDE Member

I put the same kit on my glide and left the red lense in so I could get as much red back there as I could when I'm on the brake, Glider is right different states have different laws on the amber lense lit

7. ironmark

ironmark Junior Member

I believe amber as a rear running or brake light is illegal in most states , take a look @ any manufactured trailer or car all the amber running lights are in the front or sides of the trailer or car all the red running & stop lights are in the rear , the only red side marker light on the trailer or car is @ the rear . The only amber allowed in the rear are for turn siginals ONLY , if you look @ the HD package I think it has a statement that the red turn siginal lens are illegal after 06 I think that was the year but it may have been sooner than that . Amber running lights mean front , red means rear .

8. Wiley

Wiley Member

My feeling here as well.

9. STEVE07

STEVE07 Well-Known Member Staff Member Super Moderators

Here in Ontario the law states that if you are running a european wiring system (brake light seperate from signal light) the brake light must be red and the signal lights must be amber $105. fine for non compliance

10. KingHeritage

KingHeritage Junior Member

I agree Steve,brake lights must be red