free website stats program Open Primary/Dry Clutch | Harley Davidson Forums

Open Primary/Dry Clutch

bubblehead281

I was recently riding in the rain and ran through a very deep puddle...like over the primary drive belt, now it is very hard to shift through any gears. I pulled off the clutch plates and they looked fine. Any ideas as to what my problem is?

P.S. I'm a first time bike owner and I ride a 2005 Harley Davidson Dyna Superglide Custom.

Check for binding at pivot points on shifter linkage. It possible from the water that you have rust built up and it is now binding.....

Don't suspect just the belt as the problem. Look at all of your shift linkages, and see how they work with then engine not running. Possibly only some oil needed.

+1 on greasing/oiling the linkages. I'd start with the main shift link. They used to have a zerk fitting in there but guess none have them anymore.

The steel plates usually get a light to heavy rust on them. Disassemble, lightly sand and check your fibers also. A friend has to wrap his open primary clutch with a plastic bag when ever he washes it due to the rust. Lubing the joints will also help.
tourbox

Pull the stick on the tranny, maybe some water got sucked in the breather?

While you got the plates out, take the fibers (disc's) to a flat concrete spot. A step or drive way, circular motion rub plates until the surface on that plate looks evenly scruffed . Wipe clean, let all to air out. Wire wheel or light grit sand paper the steels .also evenly. Wipe clean. Look inside clutch basket, wipe it out also. Friction disc at rear also. I have run open primary, and do this on timely basis . Be sure to check your basket roller bearings are greased (no moister) up . Install and ride on!!:small3d026::small3d026:

Back