free website stats program Open Garage Door With Cell Phone | Harley Davidson Forums

Open Garage Door With Cell Phone

For years my garage door opener was having the wife get off and push the button on the wall. I've recently become interested in the HD garage door opener that mounts on the bike.

Then I came across this:
Craftsman

The new Craftsman openers can use an Android or Iphone app that will turn your smartphone into an opener. You bring up the app on the phone and the screen is a big red button you just "Push".

I carry the phone all the time anyway so it's one less gadget to hardwire to the Glide. I could really use a new opener anyway, and the money saved from the MOCO's opener can go towards this.

I'll report back with a review. This could be huge for motorcycle use.

My thought is having to remove both hands from bars and then balancing bike while phone is removed from windshield pouch or jacket pocket to get phone and active app.:(

My thought is having to remove both hands from bars and then balancing bike while phone is removed from windshield pouch or jacket pocket to get phone and active app.:(

Yeah, I'll just come to a stop on the driveway about 20' from the door and then take the phone out. I don't really have a need to do a rolling opening.
My wife will also have the app on her phone if we have the need to open the door when coming down the driveway.

I did have some security concerns in if you lose your phone someone may have access to you garage.

One thought that comes to mind is the range from the garage door for the device to work. With traditional openers working on radio frequency you have to be relatively close...100ft or so. If you are 100 miles from home and accidently bump your garage opener you have no worries because you know the signal wasnt received. On the other hand with a cell phone you could send the signal from anywhere. Imagine being on vacation and accidentally opening the app and hitting the button. Of course you could always hit it again but there is no telling whether your door is up or down at that point. If I even had the potential to accidentally open my garage while that far from home I would be a nervous wreck.

Just something to think about

As a IT professional...my only concern would be losing the phone (address trace through phone#) or getting hacked & then someone can control the opener...JMO. Cool gadget/app though...

One thought that comes to mind is the range from the garage door for the device to work. With traditional openers working on radio frequency you have to be relatively close...100ft or so. If you are 100 miles from home and accidently bump your garage opener you have no worries because you know the signal wasnt received. On the other hand with a cell phone you could send the signal from anywhere. Imagine being on vacation and accidentally opening the app and hitting the button. Of course you could always hit it again but there is no telling whether your door is up or down at that point. If I even had the potential to accidentally open my garage while that far from home I would be a nervous wreck.

Just something to think about

Actually, the text in the link describing this device says you can use it to monitor the door too. To me, that means you can tell if the door is up or down using the app.

As a IT professional...my only concern would be losing the phone (address trace through phone#) or getting hacked & then someone can control the opener...JMO. Cool gadget/app though...

Actually, the text in the link describing this device says you can use it to monitor the door too. To me, that means you can tell if the door is up or down using the app.

So I guess all in all, like the Chevy commercial, where the husband calls the wife who is getting on a airplane and she starts the car for him.....

I guess if your into gadgets, It's a good idea, Me i just leave my remote Velcro in side my windshield bag, So when i want to open or close the door i just press on the bag and open, Sesame.

I guess if your into gadgets, It's a good idea, Me i just leave my remote Velcro in side my windshield bag, So when i want to open or close the door i just press on the bag and open, Sesame.

Rhino, I had to laugh, it really is pretty simple isn't it?

Back