free website stats program One Time use Muffler clamp? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

One Time use Muffler clamp?

Bernhard,

are you using a torque wrench? The convex and matching concave configuration stretches the metal around the slotted pipe only if torqued properly.

Al

I have tried both, unfortunately, first without the torque wrench.

I have been wondering about the design of the clamp and the center metal piece. Don't really understand what it is for and how it works.

Bernhard

I have tried both, unfortunately, first without the torque wrench.

I have been wondering about the design of the clamp and the center metal piece. Don't really understand what it is for and how it works.

Bernhard

The right hand picture from your original post is the best way to "see" what is happening as you tighten the nut on the bolt. The CONVEX spacer under the nut forces the clamp band into the concave center piece. This actually happens on both sides of the center double concave piece. By so doing, the clamp band tightens and finally stretches compressing the end of the slip on joint sealing the exhaust. It is important to make sure that the slip on section is all the way on to the underlying pipe, and that the clamp band is at the end of the cut-outs on the slipon piece (as Glider said above).

TQ

I can't add anything new here except to say that "one time use" is pretty much accurate. If you use a torque wrench to put it back on the second time it will usually tear before your reach the correct torque.
I have used a few that made it to the second use but before much time passes by they too will loosen up. At $10.00 bucks a pop it would be nice to get a second use out of them, wouldn't it. I wonder how many Harley sells every year?

I can't add anything new here except to say that "one time use" is pretty much accurate. If you use a torque wrench to put it back on the second time it will usually tear before your reach the correct torque.
I have used a few that made it to the second use but before much time passes by they too will loosen up. At $10.00 bucks a pop it would be nice to get a second use out of them, wouldn't it. I wonder how many Harley sells every year?

Don't know, but every time I have reused the old clamp and twisted the bolt in two, the Dealerships in my area are ALL OUT!! So I have picked up an extra or two just to have in my stash. You can almost guarantee that if you are putting the bike back together on a Sunday afternoon, SOMETHING is gonna get buggered up that you can't get until the Dealerships open back up!!

TQ

When my bolt broke I drilled through the top piece and drilled the stud part off and just used a nut and bolt

When my bolt broke I drilled through the top piece and drilled the stud part off and just used a nut and bolt

Yep, me too. In fact it is still on the bike now, and is that goofy cross-over clamp under the seat area. None of the Dealerships around here had any. So I did what you did. Used a high grade stainless bolt though, and really clamped down on it!

TQ

I always keep a can of never-seez on my workbench. Its not cheap but a small can will last a long time.

A little never-seez or similar product on the threads will prevent galling and will make future dis-assembly much more pleasant.

If that fails, a standard grade 8 bolt and nut also works just fine.

A dab of never-seez on the threads of any fasteners which are exposed to the elements is not a bad idea.

Back