free website stats program One more thing--Extended Warranty | Harley Davidson Forums

One more thing--Extended Warranty

Is the HD extended warranty a worthwhile investment. It tacks on another $1000 to the bike. What about the tire/wheel warranty ($300)?

jack

don't like extended warranties, jmho. Consumers Reports says they are not worth the money. I agree with them. They do help a very few, but the many pay for this. I don't want to be one of the many. Don't get me wrong, hope nothing goes wrong with your scoot, but I don't want to pay for it. Do you want to pay for mine? They are a lot of hoops to jump through before you can even collect. I think its just a waste of money, again, JMHO.

Comes down to do you ride it IMO.
If you a rider that will have the bike 5 years and put 15K on it maybe not a great deal roll of the dice.
If you run up 10-40 K a year IMO a no brainer.
One thing For sure stay with the HD plan and not one of the aftermarkets.
Get it at the dealer ship you plan to use they will work much better with you.

A wise reply Smitty!!!!!! again - short, sweet, and to the point. Thankyou.

Bill

That is the same information I got from my dealer service writer. It usually pays if you really ride alot, if not much riding a waste of money.

Is the HD extended warranty a worthwhile investment. It tacks on another $1000 to the bike. What about the tire/wheel warranty ($300)?

jack

What do you get for $1000? 3 Extra years on top of the factory 2 year which would be a total of 5 years?

It can't be a $1000 for 1 extra year, could it?

Insurance is a form of gambling. They are gambling that whatever they have to do, they will still come out ahead. You are gambling that something will happen and you will be well covered. Remember that in gamblling, the game is designed to favor the house.

Smitty is right, if you are going to ride her quite a bit, the price is a bargain. If not, its just money spent. Tire insurance at that price will pay off the first time your tire swallows a bolt or nail. You can go through several tires without that happening, then again, you could encounter that on your first day...Remember, the dealer takes all ties.

I have a friend that bought the 3-year service plan. What the dealer did not know was that he would be in for service, every 2500 miles...once every 10 days. When that plan expired and he wanted to renew, they laughed him out of the office. He still has the extended service plan and it has paid for itself several times over, but you do see Smitty's mileage consideration at play. My friend has around 140K miles on his '07 Road Glide right about now...

Enjoy,
Rich P

Thanks for the quick and informative replies!!!

They want $1100 for 3 extended years, and another $300 for tire/wheel warranties, replacement, etc.

It is the HD warranty, not a third-party.

We will not ride more than 10K a year, if that.

Jack

My 07 is pushing 40,000 miles now and I do have extended warranty and tire & wheel .Both have paid for themselves.

Smitty901 is correct. I have an 05 Electra Glide, and I have the Extended Plan. The bike is my car. I ride it day and night everywhere. I put at least 15 to 20 k a year on my bike. I have used the ESP Warranty I know. 6 Times already, and it sure came in handy when I need to do repairs on the Primary, Cam Chain Tensioners, Cam Bearings, Oil Pump, and new Cam Shafts etc....It has paid for itself already and saved me I know a couple thousands. I have 68k on it now, and I plan on getting the extra 5 years with the wheel coverage.

I bought the 5 year extended with tire and wheel, I work in a industrial park, next to a hvac co., I am on my 2nd set of tires that the tire and wheel paid for and I just found another screw, so heck yeah its paid for it's self in my case, they come pick up my bike replace the tire and off I go, I am just about at the break even with the policy if not ahead of it and I still have 3 years and a parking lot full of screws.....

It all depends on your situation

Back