free website stats program One Compression Release....enough? | Harley Davidson Forums

One Compression Release....enough?

danthern

Hello gents...I'm going to be changing out the stock front head on my 09 FLHRC, 96 CI with 103 kit. After burning up a starter a while back I had manual CRs installed. My question is, with the different front head, is it important to have a CR installed or is having one on the back enough?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

In my experience any built engine I have ever seen had compression releases on both cylinders. Do you not want both cylinders to have equal reduced pressure on start up????

Hello gents...I'm going to be changing out the stock front head on my 09 FLHRC, 96 CI with 103 kit. After burning up a starter a while back I had manual CRs installed. My question is, with the different front head, is it important to have a CR installed or is having one on the back enough?
Thanks in advance for your opinions.

I hear from the ones who install that You should do Both at the time... Not that expensive at the time Down... Having both ALL will understand and not hassle you when and IF you sell... That can make a difference on the sale.

Being you have one in the rear, I Would do the front New one also Now...

Working wise: When I use mine I do Both and IF not using them, None.

On my 103 at 4400 feet not to many times I need to use them BUT do when Heat Soaked OR-AND Down at 550" elevations Both are a must then.

signed....BUBBIE

+1 on the response's, I use both on every start. Why give your starter anymore reason to burn out faster.

Cummins Diesel got it right the first time, any thing to take the strain off the starter and prevent starter stall and kick back is a good thing IMO
I agree with ALL the posts here:s

You can get by with one but it should be in the front (#2) cylinder. Of course, two is better but one will help. Why not remove the CR from the bad head and install in the new head? With a proper jig and tap, it would take less than an hour.:D

You can get by with one but it should be in the front (#2) cylinder. Of course, two is better but one will help. Why not remove the CR from the bad head and install in the new head? With a proper jig and tap, it would take less than an hour.:D

Funny you should say that....I spoke with the mech at the local dealer and that's exactly what's gonna happen....an hour labor, cheap insurance....thanks

Back