free website stats program On-road tire repair kit? Which one? | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

On-road tire repair kit? Which one?

Supprised nobody has mentioned FixAFlat.

Years back I pulled on the shoulder by a stopped Gold Wing in Florida. The rider and passenger were not happy campers with the back tire being flat. I mentioned to them that I carry a can of Fix a Flat and it may get them to a filling station for repairs. We put it in the back tire and it looked fine. I cautioned them to ride slow. As we started to pull away from the shoulder. My front tire hit a small bump and when I accelerated the front tire came up. Making it look like an intentional wheelie. The guy on the Gold Wing, after being stranded for a while on the shoulder and now being excited that they could move the bike again. Turned his throttle, I believe to respond to my actions. Which in turn made his back tire blow out when he reentered the Interstate. No other vehicles were involved. But they went down and slid on their bodies on that rough concrete highway surface. Both rider and passenger wore only cut-offs, sandals and and a thin T shirt. I never forgot this day. Nor have I ever forgotten that Fix a flat, is not a fix and if the need to use it ever arises. Use it with great caution.

zoood

I carry a small compressor made by Green Slime (Model 4001 $32.00) that plugs into the pig tail for the battery tender. Easy to use and works great. I carry plugs and green slime for the leaks and also always carry an extra set of spark plugs just because.
Lot of ways to handle tire leaks, just be sure and have one, at some point it will pay off. :)

Be Safe

I carry a small compressor made by Green Slime (Model 4001 $32.00) that plugs into the pig tail for the battery tender. Easy to use and works great. I carry plugs and green slime for the leaks and also always carry an extra set of spark plugs just because.
Lot of ways to handle tire leaks, just be sure and have one, at some point it will pay off. :)

Be Safe
That's what I have but I believe I paid like ten bucks for it at Wal-Mart. I have never gotten a flat but I have that compressor and the standard tire repair kit. When a buddy of mine & I went to N.J. a few years ago he had gotten a flat on the return trip home. We had each purchased a can of Fix a Flat before we left. We put 2 cans of it in his badly leaking, punctured tire but it was enough to get us to a Dunkin' Donuts some 5 miles away where he got to use his H.O.G. membership card for a tow to the shop. The shop wasn't happy at all about the Fix a Flat but he didn't care. He wanted to get it off of that back road.

I used to carry fix a flat,now if I get a flatI will just call AAA and have it towed to the nearest shop for a new tire.Last year we reinflated a buddies tire to get home and it shredded up less then 10 miles down the road.It could have easily ended badly,but he saved it.The tire dealer told us that he has had a few bike tires do this after a puncture/repair.It sometimes damages the belts in the tire causing a catastrophic blowout.

i carry a plug kit and a sears air compressor in 1 bike and the plug kit and slime kit in the other. in '10 while coming home from niagara falls, a guy with me had a screw in a tube tire. we were 50 miles in the wrong direction from a dealer. slimed up the rear tire w/ screw in place. pumped it up to 45 psi and made 83 miles to johnsonburg, pa. tire went flat-real flat- after he hit the railroad tracks on US 219 outside town. trailered it to dubois h-d. plus 1 for slime since a plug wouldn't work.

I carry a mini-compressor too. Thankfully, so far, I have not needed to use it. What I am more interested in are options to plug a tubeless tire. Right now I carry plugs. But I've seen adverts for these screw in plugs with a tab on top which you snap off after the plug is screwed in. Anybody have experience with these?

Back