free website stats program old shovel pressure problem | Harley Davidson Forums

old shovel pressure problem

stripah

I have a 70 flh good pressure till it warms up, pressure drops (has a guage), front lifter block area gets noisey. any tips before I pull the cone off? also, seems to have good pressure up top when I crack a rocker arm line. Has new S&S oil pump. thanks for the help

I have a 70 flh good pressure till it warms up, pressure drops (has a guage), front lifter block area gets noisey. any tips before I pull the cone off? also, seems to have good pressure up top when I crack a rocker arm line. Has new S&S oil pump. thanks for the help
What kind and weight oil are you using in it?
What is the pressure gage reading? Was the oil filter changed at last oil change. When did all this start?

I'm using 50 wt pennz/ problem happened while a friend of mine was riding, noticed the noise, checked guage, no pressure, was running low pressure at idle before, I know this is a "shovelhead" thing, but it never was noisy. I'm thinking maybe a lifter problem or casting problem? I was hoping someone would say, "oh yea it's this" or whatever. tnx, stripah

I'm using 50 wt pennz/ problem happened while a friend of mine was riding, noticed the noise, checked guage, no pressure, was running low pressure at idle before, I know this is a "shovelhead" thing, but it never was noisy. I'm thinking maybe a lifter problem or casting problem? I was hoping someone would say, "oh yea it's this" or whatever. tnx, stripah
To many possibilities to make "this is it cures" Could be as simple as a lifter needing adj. and 60wt oil or the oil even though it's a new S&S could be at fault, a piece of trash could have gotten inside the engine when the oil pump was replaced.

Well, I do appreciate your input, I'm gonna dig into it after Christmas, hopefully it'll go easy, I'll post my results or screams for help, thnx stripah

Hi,

That your pressure drops to nothing could mean some parts are badly worn!!?? but its best first to verify your oil pressure with a 2 1/2" or 4" accurate pressure gauge. your pressure should read minimum 0,4 bar (6psi).
For the noise on your lifters,
A) you could check and clean simply the little screen filter installed just before the oilpump and next to the nose cone.
(unscrew but be aware of little spring)
B) Check adjustment on hydraulique or mechanical lifters.
C) Check if feed/suction oil line to pump is open and not restricted (even by settlement in the oil tank)
D) if all of above seems to be fine then possibly take lifters out and after that the lifter blocks to check hydraulique units and cam rollers on lifters.

hopes this is of any help,

good luck

Shovel Owners Group, France

Attachments

• soggers ri pi ma.jpg
    soggers ri pi ma.jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 20
Back