free website stats program Old people in cages | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Old people in cages

I have had issues with older drivers over the years but I've had more with young people texting, eating, talking on the phone, and just not paying attention in general. Here in Northern Michigan we also have something very scary, the tourist! Any age, they are pretty much the same, checking out the natural beauty and not looking at the road. They are good people and we need the tourist dollars but please look out for your fellow road users. When I lived down state I rode like everybody was trying to kill me and it seems to still apply. I try to make eye contact and I always look at front wheels, it helps. One more thing, there is a gentleman and his wife that live northeast of here and have a Gold Wing with a sidecar, they take long road trips everyear, he just turned 100. He skis in the winter and rides a bike in the summer, my hero!

O.K.. I'll stereotype. I have told my wife repeatedly that if and when I meet my maker on my motorcycle it is going to be some teenager texting and not paying attention. I have had more than one encounter with teens texting and scaring the bejeezes out of me. To tell you the truth, even though I have a cell phone, the sooner they outlaw texting while driving in Massachusetts, the happier I'll be.

Just read article in AF Safety magazine & they confirmed m/c riders are overall better vehicle operators...more atuned to their surroundings & look beyond the immediate view. I'd say there's an equal amount of poor drivers in all age groups - just gotta keep on your toes & always predict the worst case scenario. Then you're always prepared to make evasive tactics. Ride safe!

yea, pick your poison...teenagers, seniors, middle agers...really doesn't matter. I live in Florida, and had a senior lady pull right out from her stop, across the highway into the median. She pulled out right smack on my approach, and I know she just flat out didn't see me. That was about 3 hrs ago.

It doesn't matter, old, in the middle, young uns. Heck even my own sister told me she mistook the spots on a scooter, for headlights on a car and said they gave the appearance of a cars headlights off in the distance. And guess what she did. I can see someone mistaking the spots for headlights of a car off in the distance.

You just have to ride like you're invisible. For the most part, you are - to every motorized operator around you.

To tell you the truth, even though I have a cell phone, the sooner they outlaw texting while driving in Massachusetts, the happier I'll be.

I'll tell you right now that, at least here in California, where cell phone use while driving (unless you use a hands free device) including texting, has been against the law for a couple years now, it makes no difference. People are going to do it reguardless because the highway patrol or police can't be everywhere at once and they know they odds are tremendously in their favor. The fines can be steep, about $400 after court costs but it just doesn't stop most people. On a side note, the lady that hit me while riding was only 27, cell phone not in use (according to police report). She just dorked out and ran a red light. I agree with most posts that there's bad driving spans all ages. I'm 30 and I've had my moments, although they're few and far between. :D

Pick your poison as far bad drivers go. Although I will say the few times I'vs almost been hit has been by the "elderly".

I'll tell you right now that, at least here in California, where cell phone use while driving (unless you use a hands free device) including texting, has been against the law for a couple years now, it makes no difference. People are going to do it reguardless because the highway patrol or police can't be everywhere at once and they know they odds are tremendously in their favor. The fines can be steep, about $400 after court costs but it just doesn't stop most people. On a side note, the lady that hit me while riding was only 27, cell phone not in use (according to police report). She just dorked out and ran a red light. I agree with most posts that there's bad driving spans all ages. I'm 30 and I've had my moments, although they're few and far between. :D
Scofflaws everywhere! I should've figured that. As a humorous aside, one time while driving to work, I was stopped in traffic and got rear ended by a lady. I remember thinking that They will probably find me at fault 'cause I was on the cell phone even though I was at a dead stop and go rear ended. No, I didn't get a ticket.:s

It doesn't seem to make much difference how old they are or what they are driving, people don't think they are doing anything wrong untill after the accident. Even then they always have an excuse. During bike week in Daytona this year I saw 8 or 10 Harley riders going down the road talking on cell phones, go figure.

Young, middleaged, old...it doesn't matter. ALL cagers are a danger at some time or another...myself included. The important thing is to remain alert at all times. By the way...I have been sideswiped by an "old" person, cut off by a teenager, and nearly run off the road by a middle aged person. Most of the time it has been by someone talking on their cell phone or texting. The "old" ...just didn't see me.

Back