free website stats program Old oil tank | Harley Davidson Forums

Old oil tank

Welcome from So. Texas. Are you talking where 1/2 the gas tank was used for oil? If so the the early 1900's were that way. A friend is building a 1913 replica and has an original 1912-1913 tank and it's that way. I don't know of any others.
tourbox

Tourbox is right, Indians were the same, I have seen custom choppers with fat bob tanks using the left side tank for oil
I do believe the Harley Knuclehead had this tank also

My Harley Davidson Data book shows the 1936 Knucklehead as the first year with the "U" shaped oil tank under the seat. 1936 was also the first year the engines had a recirculating oil system. Previous were total loss. Talk about "marking your spot". :D

My Harley Davidson Data book shows the 1936 Knucklehead as the first year with the "U" shaped oil tank under the seat. 1936 was also the first year the engines had a recirculating oil system. Previous were total loss. Talk about "marking your spot". :D

My bad, Pete is right The Knuck and Pans were the first with a recirculating oil system and horse shoe oil tank Prior years had a partition in the gas tank with a drip(total loss ) oil system

In the uk tv series a bike is born Harley Davidson Mark Evans did a restoration of a 1942 wlc 45 I am sure that half the right side tank was for oil the left side tank had a bulbous extension that sat in a recess in the right side tank for the larger capacity of fuel
It has been a wee while since I watched it so I could be wrong but that is how I remember it

Brian

Did a wee bit of poking about the net on this flathead tanks had the 2 piece tank with oil in the right side and a recession for the left side fuel tank bulbous extension to fit into
Servi-car up to 1973 seems to be the last of this style

Brian

Call me OLD..... :small3d015:

I remembered a Hand pump you pulled Up to get oil and down to deliver it every now and then when the motor Rattled some...

Am I Old ? or AM I OLD.!!!

signed....BUBBIE

I'm not saying you're old BUBBIE but rumor has it you got the 1st Harley off the assembly line.:bigsmiley20:

Back