free website stats program Old Dog Hopes to Learn New Trick | Harley Davidson Forums

Old Dog Hopes to Learn New Trick

Ishmael

I've tried 5 times to post several paragraphs detailing my recently completed man cave and a few photos of a 2000 Sportster Hugger 883 that I rescued and restored to near original condition after a botched bobber attempt by the PO. I managed to mess it up each time somehow so here is a last attempt without commentary to post a link so you can at least see what's been on my agenda these past few months. Rock on.

Ishmael

2000 Sportster Restored 2012 pictures by Ishmael33 - Photobucket

I've tried 5 times to post several paragraphs detailing my recently completed man cave and a few photos of a 2000 Sportster Hugger 883 that I rescued and restored to near original condition after a botched bobber attempt by the PO. I managed to mess it up each time somehow so here is a last attempt without commentary to post a link so you can at least see what's been on my agenda these past few months. Rock on.

Ishmael

2000 Sportster Restored 2012 pictures by Ishmael33 - Photobucket

very nice Ishmael....looks like lots of room for a lot more stuff :D enjoy your shopping..lol wish i had space like that

Great job on the sportster

Hooray, it worked. On into the computer age! Now, a little commentary. My new man cave is 24 X 46, concrete floored, heat and A/C, upstairs storage, fully insulated and already too small. What with the kids educated and gone, mortgage paid, retirement approaching, my wonderful wife of 43 years said go for it, so I did. Still lots of tools, workbench, lathe, mill, oxy/acet. setup, and wire welder to move from the old tin sided, ambient temp., wooden floored building I've played in for the past 27 years, but I'm blessed to have the new shop. Only time and use will give it the patina and memories of the old shop.

The little Sporty is one I found, not at a steal but decent price and in need of some TLC. Gone is the rough, debris laden paint of the old bobber tank, back on is the original tank which the PO had thankfully saved. New blackwalls to replace the whitewalls, one of which was on backwards. Speedo back to its rightful place along with a tach I found on an XL site. The switch is back to its original position and new cobalt blue paint for the fenders and oil tank (I know it was originally black, but hey, I like the blue). Repaired carb and new petcock after the old one ran the crankcase full of gasoline, glad I found that out before riding it and ruining it. Finally, deep sixed the saddlebags and handlebar mounted windshield. Miscellaneous things like new original grips, plugs, wires, etc. Not to be too critical because the bobber attempt looked pretty good but only if you were 25 feet away. I'd always thought like so many that the Sportsters were beginner rides, girl bikes....not a chance! The Sporty is a blast to ride, plenty of power, agile and draws its share of attention. I'll often hop on it for a short ride and let the Fatboy sit. Life is good!

Ish

Great pix and fine work on the Sporty. You have a nice looking work area, be sure to post updates with the equipment.

Thanks, TJ. That 52 "Hummer" is going to be a real challenge. Its next on the agenda.
Ish
PS I bought it in the late 60s for $35. Actually rode it awhile.

Very, very nice Ishmael.:a
You did a great job on the Sportie.....:s

Great pics, very nice looking shop, and the bikes look good too, That hummer is going to be a work of art when you get done Post pics in progress:s

I like your bikes, I LOVE your shop/mancave/building. It looks like you have a little room between you & neighbors.

Back