free website stats program Ok...Here it is....Trans oil | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Ok...Here it is....Trans oil

I just changed all fluids on Sunday and switched from Spectro GL-1 too Redline with Shockproof for V-Twin. Just thought I'd try it. Price was comparable and the dealer had it on the shelf, keeping me from another stop.
I cant notice any difference in the shifting noise or neutral finding. It is in fact a much thicker substance. Probably the best thing about it is that I can actually see it on the dipstick. Spectro is hard to see with out a flashlight to create a glare or something. A paper towel works too.

Bodeen

Thanks TQ, I went there and looked, which one of these would you and/or Bubbie recommend for my TwinCam trans ?

Heavy ShockProof
Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W250, yet low fluid friction like 75W90
For heavily-loaded racing differentials and transmissions, problem gearboxes
Many performance racing applications like Sprint/Midget/Dirt Late Model Differentials, Detroit Lockers and spools, NHRA Top Fuel and Funny Car rear ends
Not recommended for most synchro applications due to the product's extreme slipperiness

Lightweight ShockProof
Film thickness greater than an SAE 75W140, yet low fluid friction like 80W gear oil or 30W motor oil
Excellent low-temp flow, improved cold shifting
For racing differentials under moderate loads
Popular in racing transmissions like Hewland and other Road Racing dog-ring boxes, Bert and Brinn for Stock Cars, G-Force, and Liberty clutchless for Drag Racing
I Lean toward the Heavy as it is MORE into protection of the Big stuff... This I have always used with Good results..

Now Karlsbike uses the lightweight, so to fine out, i called Redline and asked IF it is recommended for the Harleys and they said *YES* the same thing, just lighter...They recommend the Heavy but the specks on the light weight = will do the job..(my wording as I understood)

The harley's Have BIG Gears and I do think the Heavy is better suited for the task..

*** after a while I even get tired of promoting and defending it..

signed....BUBBIE

I Lean toward the Heavy as it is MORE into protection of the Big stuff... This I have always used with Good results..

Now Karlsbike uses the lightweight, . .. .. . . . .. . .. ...

The harley's Have BIG Gears and I do think the Heavy is better suited for the task..

*** after a while I even get tired of promoting and defending it..

signed....BUBBIE

Thanks for the reply. You sold me on trying it, after all it's only 1 quart at a reasonable price, why not. I live in a hot climate so the thickness is not a negative there. Prior to hearing you talk about it a couple of months back I had never heard of it.

Thanks for the reply. You sold me on trying it, after all it's only 1 quart at a reasonable price, why not. I live in a hot climate so the thickness is not a negative there. Prior to hearing you talk about it a couple of months back I had never heard of it.

Famous Racing people, ALL cars, trucks. bikes. KNOW the value of it.. Drag-strip runners of all kinds use it..

I like the Never Ever ANY metal on my magnetic tyranny drain plug....NEVER EVER

signed....BUBBIE

The HD transmission lube is good stuff. I chose a syn Spectro 75/140 GL5

+1 on this statement. I put the Spectro in my tranny and it's smooth and quiet. Tried the regular Redline ShockProof but the Spectro is better imo.

ok another newbie dumb question ...its seems we are limited to what oils we can find here in canada except the HD stuff from the dealer ..so im changing my primary oil as we speak and im using HD primary/crankcase oil as per manual so why should i put engine oil in the primary and what type/thickness should i use ..BTW my chain seems to be a lttle tight it seems to have 1/2in cold movement ...i will try checking again tomorrow ..thanks guys great site btw it gets pretty hot up here upper 80's

ok another newbie dumb question ...its seems we are limited to what oils we can find here in canada except the HD stuff from the dealer ..so im changing my primary oil as we speak and im using HD primary/crankcase oil as per manual so why should i put engine oil in the primary and what type/thickness should i use ..BTW my chain seems to be a lttle tight it seems to have 1/2in cold movement ...i will try checking again tomorrow ..thanks guys great site btw it gets pretty hot up here upper 80's

Myself, I use Redline MTL (wet clutch approved) in my Primary.

I have used the formal+ from HD also (sportster)... Formal+ is a good chain-case/primary lube..and in the sportster it is a good Tyranny/Primary chain-case lube (shared compartment)...

a lot of different oils can be used in the Primary's on the big bikes..

Spectro makes a primary lube Marked for use there and also good.

Others here use Mobil1 V-twin 20/50 and also put it in the primary..

Me, I'll stick with my Redline products.

Redline Shockproof heavy in my tyrannies on the big bikes.(tyranny's take "Gear Oil" not engine oils)

A bizillion things to read here under Oils or in self help.

One member said once,,,, "I didn't know OIL was a religion" (? close)

signed....BUBBIE

I just bought a 2009 Road Glide which has HD oil in transmission. I have a couple of quarts of Spectro GL-1 for 5-speeds (used it in my 2006 RK).. Will it hurt to use the GL-1 in the 6-speed transmission of my 09 rosd glide???? That's until I order and get the GL-5 stuff!

Back