free website stats program OK, All you Ultra Classic owners | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

OK, All you Ultra Classic owners

As always alot of great tips. Will be doing this in the morning. I also got one of the Fix my hog videos and it shows exactly the methods you guys are using. I bought the thumbscrew too. Along with a smooth button for my gas cap lid.

When removing the screw that holds the seat on, gently raise the seat while you unscrew it so that it stays in the metal tab. I lost 2 screws by not doing this. I think there's a gremlin down there somewhere that eats them. I was on concrete and never did find those screws

if you have a problem dropping screws when in a tight situation use a magnetic screwdriver it will hold on to the screws for you can also help with seating a screw when you cant get your fingers in to place it
to magnetise a screwdriver get a good steel screwdriver and rub a magnet from handle to tip about 10 times ensure you pull magnet away from screwdriver blade between strokes this lines up the ferric components in the steel and makes it magnetic
be aware that stainless steel screws will not be picked up by a magnetic screwdriver

Brian

Another way to magnatize a steel screwdriver is to wrap the shank with insulated wire, the tighter the wrap the better, and then momentarilly touch both ends of the wire to the posts of a car battery. A mean MOMENTARILLY...just a second or so. Not enough to melt the insulation off the wire!

Another way to magnatize a steel screwdriver is to wrap the shank with insulated wire, the tighter the wrap the better, and then momentarilly touch both ends of the wire to the posts of a car battery. A mean MOMENTARILLY...just a second or so. Not enough to melt the insulation off the wire!
A great method however care has to be taken with your method and if i ever lose my big magnet i might just use it

Brian

I bought a really long screw driver that I use and really its not that bad at all. I hate the straps but in case of a screw working out the strap will hold the seat to the frame but it is a ROYAL pain because then you have to line up the saddle bag mount.

Now if I could just wrap that around my hand and touch to a battery, I would never drop another screw again!!!!

I lost the strap too!!

Back