free website stats program oily air cleaner | Harley Davidson Forums

oily air cleaner

HOLY DIVER

i've read the section in self help just wondering if mine is bad enough to worry about. its not pooling up in the aircleaner or spraying down the side of my bike. but when i installed my new air cleaner i did notice the bottom of the old air cleaner was pretty oily. should i allign the oil pump? stop running my oil level at full hot and put it at about half way? thanks in advance.

I use to have a little oil on the air filter. Now I run about 1/4" below the full line. It has helped. The oil pump alignment is not a 5 minute job. You did not say year of bike.

Have a bit after a hard run, thinking this is a common problem, My Evos did this too:s

Yep, and I didn't have any oil/AC issue when doing self-maint. Seems like every time I do dealer service (which is rare) - they like to get every drop in for fill & then...oil from breather. This is why I do my own service - self satisfaction & get the correct fill level(s).

yep i was over filling slightly with oil i read the replies and drained the oil level down to 5/8 the way up the stick cold, went out for a nice 100mile ride no oily air cleaner and the level hot is 7/8 up the stick(just under full hot) i'm gonna leave the oil level as is. thanks so much guys! this is a great forum very nice people and i've noticed no foul language.

Back