Oils Oils Oils

Discussion in 'Touring Models' started by RetNavyHD, Jan 13, 2010.

1. RetNavyHD

RetNavyHD Member

Hello all,

I know this has been beat to death and i have read and read on this site and almost fell asleep about it i am looking to find out what you put in your bike. Going to start doing my own maintenace on the bike and want to stock up i have a 08 Ultra with a stage 1.

Engine Oil Mobile 1 v-twin?
    Tranny Spectro 6 speed?
    Primary ?

Thanks for your help and input

RK

2. mkd58

mkd58 Member

going with spectro primary chain case oil 85w this spring. also doing away with the harley fluids in engine and trans! puting mobile 1 vtwin in the engine,spectro 6sp for the trans.

3. Iceman24

Iceman24 Well-Known Member

Engine = M1 20W/50 Synth
    Tranny = M1 75W/90 Synth
    Primary = HD Formula+

Keeps my 09 SG running smooth & strong...

4. Chopper

Chopper Senior Member

I don't think there is a best, but what you're listed would be my pick of the litter but like Smitty said (any of the top SYN engine oils will serve you well)
    The oil filter is as important as the oil, for a twin cam I stick with the HD filter because I know it's 5 microns, for a evo I would go K&N.

5. Trek

Trek Junior Member

Engine - mobil 1 full syn
    Transmission - spectro 6 speed
    Primary - HD f+

6. Fossil

Fossil Active Member

If I had a new Harley I would run what Trek does. The lubricants today are all good whether syn or dino. They all have the same additive packages. Changing oil at the MOCO's recomendation will keep you safe. I doubt that you will find a mechanic who will tell you a Harley engine failed because its engine oil did. I have 106k on my EVO and it has always run dinot oil in the engine. Fossil

7. billyd1

billyd1 Active Member

Make sure you get the M1 V-TWIN it's made for our air cooled engines which run hotter by nature.:s

8. StreetKing

StreetKing New Member

Red line oils

9. Scrounger

Scrounger Active Member

I've decided to go with pure baby seal oil. They might be endangered but the oil is real slick. Designed for cold weather use too.

10. amckay63

amckay63 Member

That list is what I use on my '08 Road Glide, shipmate.

Adam McKay
    ATC(AW/SW)
    USN RET