free website stats program Oilfilter change without Oil change QUESTION | Harley Davidson Forums

Oilfilter change without Oil change QUESTION

Hi guys
I recently bought a 2008 Nightster and shipped it to Barbados where I live. As we don't have any Harley Dealers here, parts supply is always difficult.
2 weeks ago I changed the oil on my bike as I wanted to make sure that the correct oil is in the bike.
As I didn't have a proper oil filter at the time I reused the old one which was on there temporarily.
Now I got a reusable Stainless steel filter which I want to install.
My question now is: Do I have to drain the oil completely to just change the filter or can I just take off the filter and replace it without draining???

Any help appreciated.

Greetings from Barbados

Hi guys
I recently bought a 2008 Nightster and shipped it to Barbados where I live. As we don't have any Harley Dealers here, parts supply is always difficult.
2 weeks ago I changed the oil on my bike as I wanted to make sure that the correct oil is in the bike.
As I didn't have a proper oil filter at the time I reused the old one which was on there temporarily.
My question now is: Do I have to drain the oil completely to just change the filter or can I just take off the filter and replace it without draining???

Any help appreciated.

Greetings from Barbados

Yes, I'd do it this way...

I'd do ONLY the New filter and add needed oil and call it GOOD.....Then change out the oil a little earlier on the next change...(IF NEEDED) Read next........

I think it would go the Full amount of ? miles on the bike as you are adding New oil so that will keep it Fresh Longer:s

Welcome.

signed....BUBBIE

Sorry, Your question was do you need to drain the oil to change the filter = Answer NO....

Thanks Bubbie
Yes, Barbados is a small place.... We are definitely talking time here, not miles... But on the flipside the weather is great most of the time so I will get some time on the bike....
Seaspray and salty air is definitely a killer here... I am using tons of WD40... I still have a KX 450f which I ride on our MX track... So I am well aware of the problem..

Hi guys

Any help appreciated.

Greetings from Barbados

A different point of view...

I'm reluctant to disagree with Bubbie, he may have forgotten more than I know, BUT...

Unless you are absolutely certain of the condition of the current filter, I would replace the oil also.

If the current filter is of poor condition, old, loaded with contaminates, or the bypass has failed, all of your new oil may already be compromised and or polluted.

It's not a risk I would be willing to take! However, I don't know your situation completely.

You're going to lose some oil with the filter swap and need to top it off any way. See if you can lay hands on enough oil to do a complete change.

Cheers!
Ferrous

Back