free website stats program oil use on 1992 evolution engine | Harley Davidson Forums

oil use on 1992 evolution engine

i have a 1992 electraglide with the evolution engine which does not smoke so i know its not burning oil but i noticed that after rideing about 300 miles i seem to have to add a quart of oil can anyone tell me what seems to be the problem here

It just might be that the old steed is starting to get a little tired. If no external oil leaks and not using 20w50 you might want to switch.....

If it aint smoking, it must be leaking
Have a look for signs of leaks
Special attention to the rear rocker box and base gasket

Couple of thoughts as the oil has to be going somewhere have you checked the level of oil in the primary
Where does the crankcase breather go to as a worn engine can push sump oil out through the breather if stock should be a pipe to the air box but may have been altered if the breather is pointing under the bike could be dumping oil ahead of the rear wheel

Brian

Check your plugs to see if they are black and oily. Your head bresthers may be blowing it into the carb an burning it in the cylinder. Even though its not smoking you should swab the inside of your exhaust and see if you are getting oily residue

Check your plugs to see if they are black and oily. Your head bresthers may be blowing it into the carb an burning it in the cylinder. Even though its not smoking you should swab the inside of your exhaust and see if you are getting oily residue

This is a 92 evo head breathers introduced in 93 this engine will have a crankcase breather goes straight to the bottom rear of the air cleaner box excess oil would exit the box and coat the engine

Brian

Back