free website stats program oil usage | Harley Davidson Forums

oil usage

I have an 08 super glide that has used a half a quart of oil after almost 3000 miles after an oil change. Is this normal? Bike has almost 8000 miles on it. My 06 sportster with almost 25000 miles never used a drop. Wondering if I should have some concern.

Where was the oil level on the dip stick after the oil change?Did you check it on the jiffy stand or straight up? I assume you topped it off and has it used any since then?

made sure was on the full mark after change. check it on jiffy stand in my garage when hot. after 3000 mile it is now at the half way point from full

Follow these oil threads with interest as im bit paranoid over usin oil,but heres the question,over here(UK) we work in litres,whats the diff 1quart=1litre ? forgive me for bein a bit thick,cheers

I have an 08 super glide that has used a half a quart of oil after almost 3000 miles after an oil change. Is this normal? Bike has almost 8000 miles on it. My 06 sportster with almost 25000 miles never used a drop. Wondering if I should have some concern.

The '07 Dyna Service Manual, 1-4 Engine Oil and Filter:

The description and image show a cold fill to the midpoint of the 'X' series on the dipstick. The upper point is the hot check level, per Figure 1-2.

Sounds like your Dyna doesn't like being overfilled, and the excess was burned off. I changed the oil and filter on my '07 Superglide a week ago and used 2.25 liters of Golden Spectro 4, to the cold fill point on the dipstick. After 400+ miles the oil level is at the top of the 'X' series. Just checked.

My 2007 FLHR has 33K on it and doesn't use any oil at all.

This may or may not be a sign that you have internal problems. I'd pull the plugs and read them to see if it is burning the oil. Also check real good for external leaks. The oil has to be going somewhere. Figure that out and you'll know what you need to do.

Back