free website stats program oil test done! | Harley Davidson Forums

oil test done!

marcus22

just got an oil test done on my bike to see if i could go longer on an oil change. just motor oil and filter was $61 last time.

I have an 03 ultra, 48,000 miles. amsoil 20w/50 at 2500 miles.

had it done by Blackstone labs and this is what they said:

" Clearly this oil is working well in your Harley. Universal averages show typical Twin Cam 88 wear after an oil run of 3,900 miles. You ran this oil just 2,500 miles and your wear is lower than average, just like it should be. The oil was in good shape physically, containing no moisture, fuel, or other contaminants. The air and oil filters (silicon and insolubles) are working well too. And the TBN read strong at 6.6, so more miles will be fine. Try 3,500 miles next. Nice!"

food for thought for anyone else wondering how long to do oil changes. I know this can be a big debate:D and I know milage is all depending on how you ride. my 2500 miles was not all highway. it took me 5 months to get that and I ride frequently.

safe riding!

Last edited:
That's good for Amsoil co. Your miles seems to be the NORM per year. I believe most every rider changes his oil every fall before putting their bike away for the winter. Atleast here in Mich.

Marcus, If you don't mind me asking, what did the testing set you back. Was the turn around time with your results done quickly. Do they send you a complete assay sheet of your oil sample. If so, is there any chance you would be able to upload it. Tks!

I went to the BlackStone labs website and all my questions got answered. Really interesting & informative. The price is very fair since you get a complete analysis of your sample.

Would still like to see your assay if you would upload. Tks!

sorry hoople for not responding back soon enough. I got a fast turn around. they e-mailed my report but I have a bunch of personal information on my report so i would rather not upload it. but i can answer any questions you might have.

ok i figured out how to cut out my personal information. here you go hoople

oilsample_zpsac4fc4d1.png
[/URL][/IMG]

Marcus, Nice report for sure. Is the oil your using synthetic, synthetic blend or dino.
I ordered a couple of sample kits for both car & bike. Going to see if a couple of my theories are correct.
Thanks for the upload & info!

If the OEM manual specifies 5k as the oil change interval with Non-Synthetic oil, why do you change your synthetic oil at 2500 miles? (or even 3500) I'm not clear on what the report actually revealed if the sample is barely used. I ask this because I average 2k a month and change the synthetic oil at around 5K. The oil is darker than when it went in like it's supposed to be but there's never anything on the magnet. Does your oil come out dirty at 2500 miles?

Marcus, Nice report for sure. Is the oil your using synthetic, synthetic blend or dino.
I ordered a couple of sample kits for both car & bike. Going to see if a couple of my theories are correct.
Thanks for the upload & info!

yes the oil is full synthetic. let me know what your theories are correct.

If the OEM manual specifies 5k as the oil change interval with Non-Synthetic oil, why do you change your synthetic oil at 2500 miles? (or even 3500) I'm not clear on what the report actually revealed if the sample is barely used. I ask this because I average 2k a month and change the synthetic oil at around 5K. The oil is darker than when it went in like it's supposed to be but there's never anything on the magnet. Does your oil come out dirty at 2500 miles?

I only changed the oil that early because i had a lot of short trips on it. I haven't put many miles on this year and it was a feel good thing to prove to me that I could go longer than 2500 miles with the type of riding i was doing. the 5000 mile recommendation is all depending on your riding habits. yes my oil looks dark at 2500 miles than new but this report said that its fine to go longer. in the past when i was putting miles on the bike I changed the oil more at the 5000 mile mark. hope this helps

It doesn't matter how many miles you change your oil. So long as you are ok with it. Your ride, you decide. Clearly your doing good. Keep up the good work!

Back