free website stats program Oil Temp | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp

I don't think that is a very accurate reading, should be more like 200 or higher in city traffic.

OK. Just to make sure, I assume you are talking fahrenheit (since 150degC would be over 300degF! and that WOULD be dangerously hot).

I live in the Houston area and air temps are up in the mid-upper 90's now (degF!) Temp on the road is probably another 10-20 degrees above that depending on clouds and wind. Running on the highway with cross or head wind I am getting about 205-210 degF after installing my new Jagg oil cooler. Prior to that it was running at least 10-15 deg hotter. If I am running with the wind the bike is a bit hotter depending on wind speed. Once I get into stop-and-go for an extended period (30 min or so), the temp climbs up to the 225-230 range and sometimes higher with a passenger.

The bike is an '03 UC. During the Spring-Fall period, I do not run the lower fairings.

TQ

I agree with TQuentin1, 300-350 F is way hot.

I would take another reading with a new temp gauge ...and are we talking celcius or farenheit.

Oil temps can safely run between 200*-250* F. Higher than that and the oil looses it's lubricating properties real fast.
i182_OilBreakdown.jpg

I do not have the temp gauge, but it does get some hot at times. I believe they normaly run about 240 deg.

Back