free website stats program Oil Temp | Page 4 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil Temp

Mine runs within HD spec (210 - 250), depending on ambient temp. Last weekend's ride in 90-degree weather it stayed right @ 250 when bike was fully warmed-up & cruising.

If an oil cooler can't dissipate heat when the bike is stopped than neither can the engine. If that was true, why do I hear people talk about fried thighs sitting at stop-lights? JMHO

The engine, oil tank, oil cooler and everything else all dissipate heat wheither moving or stopped. That's how an air cooled engine gets rid of its heat. ( think of small stationary motors ie: grain augers, lawnmowers etc. ) The more surface area you can expose the oil to the lower the temp. There is no doubt it will get more cooling effect when moving but the increased surface area will help cool the oil.

I have temperatures between 150-175 F. What is wrong?? Should I fix it? I have Evo RevTech, and oil cooler (simple frame follower) so total oil volume is about 3.3-3.5 quart. The oil is mineral. Outside temperatures are now about 77F.

Be happy, don't worry, the oil cooler is working well. As long as your rides are long enough to boil off the moisture and you don't see what looks like whitish color foam in the tank, you should be OK.

Maybe your gauge is off? Try boiling some water and when it gets to a boil, put the tip of the oil gauge in the water and see if it reads 212*

I have temperatures between 150-175 F. What is wrong?? Should I fix it? I have Evo RevTech, and oil cooler (simple frame follower) so total oil volume is about 3.3-3.5 quart. The oil is mineral. Outside temperatures are now about 77F.

I have an evo bike and i do not think i have seen my teperature above 180 f and your oil cooler will help you loose more heat
if you want your oil to get a bit hotter remove the oil cooler

Brian

No argument from me that a cooler will help even when standing still. The only point of my comment about standing still was thinking that the amount that it helps is probably not all that significant.

Back