Oil Temp

Discussion in 'Softail Models' started by HDFatboylo, May 24, 2011.

1. HDFatboylo

HDFatboylo Member

What should the oil temp be then the bike is hot? (Fatboy Lo)

2. glider

glider Veteran Member

Depending on the ambient temps any where from about 210 to 260 then you would want to run synthetic oil.

3. Aerodawg

Aerodawg Member

I also have a Fatboy Lo, :D last year when I bought it and ran it for 1st 1000 miles the temp would get up to 220 max on the normal oil. I switched to full synthetic and the temp is around 200-210 in 90 degree weather, but it usually runs anywhere from 180(winter) to 210(summer) but it depends on the traffic, weather (windy days it always cooler), etc... I bought one of those analog thermometers dipsticks and can glance down while sitting at a redlight and see what the temp is. If you dont have one I highly recommend it. I asked my dealer if I should get an oil cooler and he said he doesnt use one, and so far the temp hasnt spiked enough to scare me yet into buying a cooler and I ride almost everyday to work on it. Plus my legs tell me when the engine is getting hot :newsmile014: Thinking about a shield for the heat. I Hope this helps you!

4. eleft36

eleft36 Junior Member

From the manual:
    NOTE
    Engine oil should be at normal operating temperature
    (230° F/110° C) for an accurate reading.
    6. Oil pressure should be 30-38 PSI (207-262 kPa) at 2000
    RPM and normal operating temperature.

Al

:USA
    :CONNECTICUT

5. Breeze3at

Breeze3at Well-Known Member Contributor

I took two 250 - 300 mile rides last weekend ('07 FLHTC stage 1) with ambient air temps. of 95 degrees. My oil temp gauge (sensor is in bottom of oil pan) read 250° at cruising speeds of 55/60 mph in 5th gear. It climbed quickly in traffic areas, but went back to 250° when back to cruising speed.

6. Locopilot750

Locopilot750 Member

Been seeing 225 on mine with the HD oil cooler, & wind deflectors. In the cooler months, same set-up, about 200-210.

7. zoood

zoood Junior Member Product Contributor

You may want to check out this link I placed in the trike section. I has substantially reduced my oil temps.

Here's my Trike build - Page 31 - Harley Davidson Community

And Im running a 1851cc engine, 113 Ultima

zoood

8. cycleman11

cycleman11 Member

My 08 Softail - completely stock - on analog oil gauge in the oil tank, I get readings of around 230-240 in the city with the usual stop & go driving. The ambient temps are about 90 F at the time.

9. zoood

zoood Junior Member Product Contributor

I have an analog HD gauge I purchased and mounted in my inner fairing. I have a hard time reading it. They have 5 sets of numbers and 4 dots. Even the segments between dont add up. Its in MHO a poor design. I need to get a digital gauge. Seeing what some of you are running at. That would scare me if I was running those temps. But until I get the new gauge. I wont know what temps Im truly running at.

10. A lean condition caused by an intake leak can cause higher temps. Engine mods done without a tuner or ECU downloads can give you a lean setup.