free website stats program Oil temp | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil temp

kabory

This being my first HD and being air cooled, I was wondering if synthetic oil runs cooler or disipates heat quicker.

Welcome to the forum. If your asking about the thermal handling differences between synthetic and dino, I can't help you. I don't believe synthetic runs any cooler, engine heat is engine heat. There are some that say it does make their bike run cooler, but I have never seen that benefit. I can tell you synthetic oil can handle high temps better/longer than dino oil and doesn't break down as quickly, thereby protecting your engine longer. That alone is enough for me to run it in my scoot.

If your looking to lower the operating temp of your bike, I can say a full Stage 1 has definately lowered the temp on my bike, and I'm talking seat of the pants..I can tell the difference. Also, make sure you have the EITMS on your bike activated (if your model has it) I believe that helps too.

By the way do a search and you will get lots of information.

Yes the synthetic oils do run cooler. Oil of choice for most is Mobil 1 V twin 20w50.
Ken

Yes synthetic does run cooler, I've seen identical bikes checked and it was 16 degrees cooler at the end of the run. I prefer Amsoil, probably because my friend (and fellow biker) local is an Amsoil salesman. Some of you might have seen their booth at Russmeyers during Bike Week. That yellow CVO SE 110ci Roadglide parked there was my friend's bike.

But the main thing is to buy FULL SYNTHETIC, don't be dupped into buying the cheaper mix that is not fully synthetic.

Synthetic oils Have and DO drop the "Oil Temperatures" up to 25*/30*..

My theory is that Fully Synthetic Oil Allows the oil to dissipate the Heat from itself Better than the Mineral oil... Cooling itself and the motor..

Another is that the oil absorbs Heat from the parts Better so cooling is the best..

I have WATCHED this Change in Live progress... A friend rode his TC at oil temps 260* and Right after he changed out to His brand of Full synthetic oil, Watched his oil drop to a safer 230 area with no oil cooler and in AZ...

signed....BUBBIE

Back