free website stats program Oil temp | Page 2 | Harley Davidson Forums

Oil temp

got mine at autozone 38.00 workes good probe length 60 deg outside running 240 deg oil 70deg outside 260 oil temp

You have a brand and or part number? I want to get rid of the worthless air temp gauge and would like to monitor my oil temps without spending $100+ on a guage. If it fits and works well I would like to check it out. Thanks.:cheers

Knowing the status of your engine at a glance is a good thing. Waiting for an engine light, excessive pinging condition or mechanical noises prior to the engine seizing is too late to do any countermeasures. :no

True, the newer motors have the rear cylinder cutout warning, but prior to that there was NO warning. How well do you think you KNOW the "pulse" of your bike running at highway speed if it loses oil pressure or is overheating? Certainly not the time to find out you are not "communicating"...on the side of the road in the woods don't you think?!! :33:

This goes along the lines of why have a voltage guage or center reading charging guage...same reasoning to have or have not was given to the manufacturers to do the decision for us, having removed them on standard vehicles a long time ago...but then they know how to make money by saving a few cents here and there, taking short cuts don't they...:(

Last edited:
I also use synthetic oil and with JAGG cooler never saw temps much over 200* on very HOT days....

signed....BUBBIE

I am not trying to make you go Crazy in the OTHER direction but not having your oil temp at least 220* is almost guaranteeing you pockets of engine sludge. You will never vaporize water or condensation at the temps you are running.
If on Very HOT days, like you said your temp is maybe 210*, I bet on a nice cool day your in the 190's on oil temp. That is WAY too low.
There should be a temp valve that only runs the oil to the cooler when you hit 238*.

Hoop!

Smitty,
If it was possible to do, would you be OK with your oil running at 190* even on a long trip?

Hoop!

Most cooler thermostats are set to about 180. If the oil doesn't get hot enough it cann't burn of some of the contaminents.I imagine 190 would work.
kemo

Most cooler thermostats are set to about 180. If the oil doesn't get hot enough it cann't burn of some of the contaminents.I imagine 190 would work.
kemo

180* is way to low for me. Even the Harley brand of cooler (I believe) is like 235*

Where did you get those numbers. 180* is crazy low to me. The water vapor would never get burned off.

Hoop!

Once agin if all this heat stuff was such a big deal to the life of the engine, I would go broke rebuilding mine.

Oh I agree. You can go NUTS with this Topic.
On my cars I use to change oil every 2000 miles. What a waste of money that was. The engine still fell apart.

Hoop!

Last edited by a moderator:
The oil temp gauge is so you can look at it and drive your self nuts over something that really dose not madder.
If there is anyone out there that does not know it Big Vtwins throw a lot of heat.
Always have always will. The Lean EPA rules make them throw a bit more.
IMO eyes on the road the view is much more intresting than a gauge

While you're moving the oil temp seldom becomes a factor. It's when you're in a parade (intentional or otherwise) or sitting through several lights to make a left turn on a hot day that it can creep up alarmingly high on you. Easy enough to check then without endangering yourself or anyone else. Eyes on the road is a great rule but it takes no longer to glance at the oil temp gauge than it does your speedo, tank map, trip odometer, etc. Certainly not a reason to not install one if it concerns you and gives you a warm fuzzy to keep a constant eye on one of your engine's vital signs.

Hoop I have checked the Harley catalog and the Jagg catalog and both have the stats starting to opening at 185 and fully open at 195. I don't know where you are getting your information.
kemo

I had a JAGG oil cooler on my dyna BUT found no need for the temp gauge..

I installed a harley oil PRESSURE gauge...
It being a HD chrome part well worth the $$.. a nicely made unit. HEAVY chrome brkt. that looks great and fits off top of the rear valve cover ...

Mounting the oil gauge there and running line directly to a brass fitting to use both IDIOT and pressure gauage was easy...

I also use synthetic oil and with JAGG cooler never saw temps much over 200* on very HOT days....

The pressure is more interesting to me..

signed....BUBBIE

I'm confused, how did you see temps without the temp guage? :D

The oil temp gauge is so you can look at it and drive your self nuts over something that really dose not madder.

Smitty: it DOES matter. I agree with you that too much worry is put on this subject, and V Twins do run hot. BUT, oil temp does matter if it gets too hot. Just like oil pressure matters if it gets too low. If a person installs a guage then worrys constantly, they have a problem. But a temp gauge will warn a rider if things get out of whack. They are not meant to cause grief, but they absolutely serve a purpose. If you want to just enjoy the road then remove all your gauges and do not worry uintil you run out of gas. Kind of like do not go to the doctor and nothing is wrong.........:no:no Its is not the guage that has a problem, it is the rider!

Back